Increase font size
Topic Title: Advertising postings
Topic Summary: Moderation needed
Created On: 03 March 2011 07:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 March 2011 09:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

keithgparr

In my view any obstruction to the immediacy of communications through the forum will detract from the (already low) member willingness to use them. Further the delete button is so easy and effective that a couple of spam postings per day is easy to cope with, if it were thousands then I'd maybe reconsider.

On the other hand, if members consider these commercial postings a real irritant then they might drive away those who DO use the forum.

I don't see the postings to which you refer, Alan, so I guess I am not subscribed to the forum in which this is a problem.

Keith

-------------------------
Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 03 March 2011 03:24 PM

keithgparr

I am sure that you drive on the left, obeying the rules, and do so in the interests of everyone's safety

Actually no, living in Europe I drive on the right <smile>

More seriously, I know that we already prevent new posters from posting web links in their initial posts (I don't know exactly how many).

I'm sensitive to any (additional) barriers exactly in the initial first couple of posts period. Any issues here and we put off the new poster and (s)he won't come back!

Whilst I sympathise with those who are sensitive to spam, I can't help feeling that a rota system for 24 hour coverage just to delete spam (more) quickly would be a less than ideal use of scarce resource!

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 03 March 2011 06:39 PM

rossall

We are watching this with interest, but the points made already cover pretty much anything that I could say. Keith is correct that new users cannot post hyperlinks, which discourages most advertising. We do respond to moderator reports on inappropriate messages, and remove these where necessary.

Obviously your feedback on levels of advertising, and whether it is too much of a nuisance, is welcome. However, I personally agree with Keith that delays in posting for moderation would be unwelcome to most users.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 04 March 2011 12:27 AM

CliveM

I have found that moderators do respond quickly during working hours. I suppose I have a couple of questions.

1. Do the number of advertising posts justify a rota system?
2. What happens to the user who has posted an advertisement or inappropriate post?

It is up to all users to report any posts which may be advertisements or inappropriate to the moderator.

Clive Maude
 04 March 2011 12:55 AM

rossall

We use some judgement with those who post inappropriately.

Normally we will ban, but the horse has bolted. Those who register to post spam do not often come back anyway.

Occasionally, and especially if an IET member or someone with a track record of useful contributions is involved, we have a quiet word, and/or suspend rights for a while.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 04 March 2011 02:25 AM

sfchew

Whilst I sympathise with those who are sensitive to spam, I can't help feeling that a rota system for 24 hour coverage just to delete spam (more) quickly would be a less than ideal use of scarce resource! Keith

Although it is unlikely that we are inconvenienced by occasional advertising postings we need to provide a contingency plan if some malicious attacks are found on DF. It will be of advantage for us to provide some means of emergency action if such incident occurs.

Regards
Chris Chew
 04 March 2011 12:46 PM

hamishbell

Yes, they do tend to occur at weekends, but they're pretty obvious and the delete button is close at hand. I must say that both the forums and the IET alias seem to manage to keep the spammers at bay for most of the time so unless it becomes an epidemic, I think resources would be better applied elsewhere. Incidentally, I've noticed tha David Rossall is a bit of a lurker out-of -hours and often picks up comments when more sensible people are watching tv or taking the dog for a walk!
Regards
Hamish

Hamish V Bell, BSc, CEng, FIET, FCQI, CQP
2007 - 2010, Vice President and Trustee
 04 March 2011 01:21 PM

roddalitz

This thread has generated more messages than I have ever seen spam in IET. Surely the IET moderators can be left to look after the forum?

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.