Topic Title: Cancun Big Freeze Special
Topic Summary: IET Magazine
Created On: 30 November 2010 11:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 December 2010 01:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dvaidr

It's the beginning of the effects of Pole Shift as identified by the late Professor Keith Runcorn of Newcastle University. He theorised that every so many millions of years the poles shift. This can be exhibited in rocks.

Suppose this is just as much rubbish as say climate change due to CO2; don't we, as the 'superior being' (and let's face it, that's what we erroneosuly think we are), on the planet, have a duty of care to make sure we maintain the planet as a great place to live. I

No, I don't have flowers in my hair and smoke suspect baccie. I just think we've a superb environment in which to live and we should keep it that way.....
 22 December 2010 01:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

roddalitz

The earths magnetic field has reversed many time, as Wikipedia says "at intervals, ranging from tens of thousands to many millions of years, with an average interval of approximately 300,000 years.[15] However, the last such event ... occurred some 780,000 years ago." My belief is that the rotating, convecting, conducting liquid core of the Earth is a sufficiently complex system that we will not soon understand it. The North pole is moving relatively rapidly, just look at your Ordnance Survey map notes relating to grid north versus magnetic north, but reversal is not likely for many centuries.

I do not see the relevance to Cancun or climate change. Magnetic field reversal - through zero, with reduced shielding from solar radiation - is a totally unrelated future catastrophe.

-------------------------
regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
IET » Feedback and questions » Cancun Big Freeze Special

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.