Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Membership cost vs. Institute of Physics
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 September 2010 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 September 2010 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

andrewgbriggs

After some years of membership, this year's renewal was a timely reminder for me of the cost of retaining my membership and CEng status.

I came to question the value of my membership once more.

Pros:

CEng after my name
Glossy magazine once a month

Cons:
Amount of time involved in the application process.
Hefty renewal fee every year
Periodic unsolicited telephone calls to "participate in surveys".

I am struggling to see the value and the relevance of this institution (to me personally, although I suspect I am not alone).

I believe that it is possible to achieve CEng status with the Institute of Physics, with much lower fees for the Institute membership.

Could anyone please let me know if there is a "fast track" route available for existing IET members with CEng. ? and has anyone actually been through this process? I would like to be better prepared when my next renewal comes !

Thank you.
 09 September 2010 01:20 PM

roddalitz

If you are a member of IoP, just ask them to transfer your CEng registration. Sae Engineering Council annual fee applies.

-------------------------
regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 28 September 2010 02:12 PM

peterdorey

Maybe the 2 Intstitutions will (or should to save costs) merge one day and become 'The Institution of Engineering and Physics' and further in the future maybe to 'The Institution of Engineers and Scientists'.

Just an idea!
 29 September 2010 09:50 PM

jencam

Originally posted by: andrewgbriggs
I am struggling to see the value and the relevance of this institution (to me personally, although I suspect I am not alone).

You're not alone. My son holds similar views although he isn't eligible to become a member of the club. He happens to be quite friendly with a retired engineer who was a former member of the IEE who didn't think it was worth the money or that ordinary engineers even gained much personal benefit from being a member. All they were rewarded with was glossy magazines and a few letters after their name, unless they were working towards chartered status, for what he considered very high membership fees. The engineer suspects that membership of the IEE was really in the interest of bosses as they could go round sounding off to their customers, suppliers, and investors that all their engineering staff are members of the club and that's a hallmark of quality for the firm - we don't employ monkeys.

I believe that it is possible to achieve CEng status with the Institute of Physics, with much lower fees for the Institute membership.

Holding a CEng status puts you in a different league from engineers who do not have this status and no interest in gaining it. Sometimes to maintain a professional status means having to be a member of a society you think is otherwise pointless or you disagree with. The best advice is to find out whether there's any benefit from this status, and if there is, identify which societies maintain it then join the one of your choice.
 29 September 2010 10:45 PM

roddalitz

jencam wrote: ... all their engineering staff are members of the club and that's a hallmark of quality for the firm - we don't employ monkeys.

That is fine, as long as the management pay the fees!

-------------------------
regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.