Topic Title: New MyIET
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 August 2010 11:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 September 2010 02:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DavidParr

I must admit to getting a little frustrated with the new "integrated" PM system. I have only managed to replly to one of three PMs I have been sent. In both cases the repeated failure was "Unable to send message". I have tried using both IE and Firefox.

I hope "faramog" and "mm5cu" do not think I am ignoring them

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 08 September 2010 03:28 PM

keithgparr

This raises a couple of questions which have been bothering me:
  • How do people feel about being represented just by their chosen nicknames (rather than by their real names)?
  • How do people feel about being contacted by people recognisable only by their nicknames?

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 08 September 2010 03:43 PM

dbacon

Keith: We would be interested in hearing people's views on this. I won't explain here why the decision to do it that way was made as I don't want to put people off responding.

David: I'll look into that and let you know what I find.

David Bacon
Internet Services Group
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 08 September 2010 05:14 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: keithgparr

This raises a couple of questions which have been bothering me:

• How do people feel about being represented just by their chosen nicknames (rather than by their real names)?

• How do people feel about being contacted by people recognisable only by their nicknames?

Keith

I have always used my real name when subscribing to the Discussion Forum, as I felt that my input was genuine and not B.S.

On the other hand, if members or non-members wish to use nick-names for one reason or another, I guess that is their decision, but I know from the years of experience using the IIE and the IET Forums that there have been subscribers who have hidden behind their nick-names because their responses stretched the truth, especially about themselves.

Regards,

Daniel

Edited: 08 September 2010 at 06:14 PM by danielscott
 08 September 2010 05:29 PM

keithgparr

Yes, I do too Daniel, but I don't want to be too hard on the people that use acronyms and nick-names. Back in the days when the web was young (ah, the nostalgia!) IET members chose a name for their use on the web site without realising that that name would stick (I understand that there are some pretty significant isues with allowing people to change them) and would become a public name.

OTOH I know how I react when I get email from some arbitrary collection of letters and numbers. The delete button is never very far away (as long as I can keep a check on my curiosity <smile>).

So I'd like to see a way for people to "rechoose" a screen name (if they wish) which the system could present in the forum and / or the private messages. So i was hoping to solicit reactions, one way or the other, so we could judge the strength of feeling about the issue.

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Benelux LN - 2009
 09 September 2010 08:59 AM

ectophile

I don't think it's possible to change your username, so I'm stuck with this one. Many years ago, before MyIET and these forums were ever created, the IET required users to create a username and password to log in to parts of the web site. I just picked an arbitrary name I could remember easily.

Later on, the IET introduced members-only areas, so I needed to associate this username with my IET membership. Now I'm stuck with it on these forums.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 09 September 2010 10:35 PM

roddalitz

1) There should ideally be three names, Real name; username to log on; and signature. It is probably convenient for the IET to use log-on name for signature, since that guarantees it is unique - there could be too many John Browns, but then how can you force people to have a unique "real name?"

2) I do not like people hiding behind anonymity. If someone has something of value to say they should be prepared to stand up for it. I do not like trolls.

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 09 September 2010 11:03 PM

keithgparr

I agree with you, Rod, but I would caution against implying that those with less-than-transparent user names are trolls. Some of these members are not hiding, they are using the user names they chose years ago without realising how they would come to be used and which are not changeable - Alan (above) being a good example.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that users can set up a "signature" in their "profile". This means that whatever user name happens to appear in the left hand column, under each message you get a standard piece of text inserted automatically saying pretty much whatever you want it to say. Just under the black horizontal menu bar, the second button from the left is "profile", in the resultant page you can create and save your sig file.

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Benelux LN - 2009
 10 September 2010 10:42 AM

afwilson

The email alerts do not show the "signature", so if one usually scans the posts to the Discussion Forum as emails, only the username is visible.

I certainly treat posts from individuals with recognisable usernames differently to the anonymous ones, as I am sure many people do.

Originally posted by: keithgparr

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that users can set up a "signature" in their "profile". This means that whatever user name happens to appear in the left hand column, under each message you get a standard piece of text inserted automatically saying pretty much whatever you want it to say.

Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 10 September 2010 07:09 PM

rossall

Thanks for the views. Here's the thinking that David Bacon referred to. I'd be interested in your comments.

In general terms, the IET strongly encourages members and others to take ownership of their postings. This is, I believe, reflected in a much wider use of real signatures here than on many other forums. Signatures are the first and easiest way to identify yourself. You can set one up in your forum profile.

With the new features just released, you can go beyond that and provide a photograph, plus more details via the profile link on your username next to your messages.

The limitations of real names are those already identified. Firstly, many members do not have unique names. It could get quite confusing if someone with the same name as a well-known volunteer were to offer an opinion that was rather different from what that person would say!

Secondly, many messages present views that the writer would wish to acknowledge. Other authors, however, may tend to ask technical or career questions where some degree of discretion is appropriate, or may simply not know other participants, and therefore wish to maintain some privacy until they feel more at home.

It seems to me that we can accommodate all these differing perspectives within the current approach.

On a more technical note, we do not provide facilities to change username, it is true. This is more complex than on other sites because we have integrated log ins for the main Web, these forums, event bookings, the library catalogue and loan system, Career Manager, the jobs search and so on, and all of those with the membership systems. Each has its own user database. Changes therefore need to be made across systems.

The trade-off is that members do not need separate log-ins for these services, and are recognised as members (and therefore entitled to certain restricted services) across all of them. We have also managed to preserve log-ins when upgrading systems, so some of you may first have chosen your usernames up to 13 years ago.

If you have a particular difficulty with your username, please contact the Webmaster.

I hope that this is of interest.

David Rossall
 10 September 2010 07:32 PM

roddalitz

Yes, but the one thing you DON'T have is the signature on the email notification. If someone uses a signature (which is part of a normal email, and is a good idea) then that part of the message should be included.

10 September 2010 07:36 PM

roddalitz

The other thing is that threads like this - which has covered a multitude of aspects and is getting quite long - become difficult to manage, to find a specific message or reply.

I don't know if it is something I am doing wrong, or whether the forum doesn't quite suit Safari, but sometimes something gets lost and I do not see the page I expect to see. Please don't ask me to document that just now, next time I will try to make notes.

11 September 2010 05:32 PM

rossall

It can be confusing, and I'm not sure any software has the perfect answer. Here are some things to try.

Your personal options in your forum profile let you choose the number of messages that you see per page (which can mean fewer pages to hunt through) and whether you see the oldest or latest first (I like the latter because, checking on the new postings in a thread, I have only to look at the top of page 1.)

The thread display options in the dark grey box above the first message allow you to try linear, threaded and other views. In theory, this lets you see the subthreads, with each message attached to the one to which it was a reply. Of course, the software is not psychic, and that would depend on everyone using the reply link in the specific message on which they wanted to comment. I for one don't do that, so I find those of limited use.

Finally, it is good forum "netiquette", if going off on a complete tangent, to start a new thread. This is to avoid just the confusion that you mention.

As I said, not perfect answers.

David Rossall
 11 September 2010 11:02 PM

CliveM

David,

You appear to have ignored the comment by Rod about including the signature, if present on the thread, in the email notification. Is this an oversight or is it something you are looking into and will respond when your investigation is complete?

Clive Maude
 12 September 2010 12:59 AM

rossall

I wasn't ignoring it, but I did make a note to look at the available settings, and also compare with some other forums that I use, and that run on different packages from our Fusetalk.

Neither VBulletin nor SMF include a signature in email notifications. phpB doesn't include the message text either - just a notification of a new posting.

That's certainly true on those specific forum implementations that I visit. I can't be certain that the Webmaster doesn't have an option to include them, because we don't run those packages. I don't think there's one in Fusetalk, but we'll check.

David Rossall
 12 September 2010 08:20 AM

roddalitz

OK, it is strictly an email notification, but I treat it as an email - what is the point of reading the notification, then logging in to MyIET to read it again with nicer formatting? Sometimes I have to go to MyIET to make sense of the nest of repeated quotes - few follow rfc-1855 ( http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html ) in quoting the minimum necessary to make sense of the situation.

The problem with a forum is that you have to be proactive and go to look. Email arrives and prompts action.

12 September 2010 09:19 AM

CliveM

David,

I thought you wouldn't have ignored it but I am concerned after seeing Andrew Wilson's comments and now realise that he will pay less attention to anything I post on the forum.

Clive Maude
 07 October 2010 07:32 AM

pjhulbert

Hello,

Whats the status of the contacts search function - I cant find myself - only one person in my local network - only two staff people in my LN Committee?

I have marked my profile as visible for IET members (yesterday)

Paul Hulbert
Chairman LN Switzerland
 07 October 2010 09:30 AM

rossall

On typical systems of this type, the fact that you are in the system means implicitly that you opted in to some extent - after all, there's not much point in joining LinkedIn, or any comparable service, unless you want to make contact with people.

The IET is different because the networking service is only one of the things that we offer. We already have details of all IET members in our systems, but some (a minority) do not have log-on accounts, and the others registered because of one or more of the range of Web-based services that we offer to members (professional development, e-books and e-journals, book sales, discussion forums, membership renewals, library loans, commenting on articles, etc.).

Therefore, members (and other users of our site) cannot be assumed to be expecting their profiles to be searchable, and need to opt in to allow this. The people you can find will be those who have done this.

If you are finding this service useful, then please encourage others to take part.

I hope that this makes things clear.

Regards

David Rossall
IET » Feedback and questions » New MyIET

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.