Increase font size
Topic Title: Historical material
Topic Summary: Interesting documents found during house clearance
Created On: 05 August 2010 10:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 August 2010 10:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

davecooper

I was not sure where to post this so please forgive me if it is in the wrong place. I have recently been clearing out my mothers house in readiness for her moving to a retirement home. My deceased father was a senior partner in a London firm of electrical Consulting Engineers which had been in existence since the late 1800's. When the firm went into liquidation in the 1980's, he inherited much of the historical material from the company and stored it at home.
The company was Lucas & Pike, (formerly Owen, Lucas & Pike), latterly based at Vauxhall.

Among the items found so far are:

Hundreds of electrical installation specifications dating back to the 1880's for contracts including Lloyds, The Old Bailey, Flying Cloud, Lord Mountbattens London and Country residences, a number of foreign Embassies, a number of London Theatres and much more.

Letters from people such as Lord Mountbatten, discussing contract work.

Many photographs of installations and electrical catalogues dating back over 100 years.

A large (perhaps 20" x 30") photograph of the entrance of the IEE circa 1890 with what must be a few hundred members and senior members arranged on the floor, stairs and around the balconies.

My question obviously is would these be of interest to anyone and who should I approach. With family agreement I would like to pass anything on that may be of historical interest to someone as I fear much will be lost otherwise.
 05 August 2010 11:46 AM

sashi

You might want to contact the IET archives. There might be some valuable documents and records.

archives@theiet.org

-------------------------
Dr S Sivathasan, DPhil CEng
PRI IPRA (Queensland)
 05 August 2010 02:49 PM

shale

Dear Dave,

Thanks for this message. The IET Archives would be very interested to hear more about this collection, please contact us on 02073448407 or archives@theiet.org.

Kind regards,

Sarah Hale
IET Assistant Archivist

Sarah Hale
IET Assistant Archivist
 06 August 2010 07:57 AM

davecooper

Thankyou for your interest in the material. At the moment I am continuing to manage the clearance from a distance, the house is in Surrey and I live in Cumbria. However, during my last visit, I separated anything of possible interest with a view to carrying out a more detailed sort on my next visit.
I am due down there early in September so if you could bear with me, I will have a complete inventory then and hopefully you can then tell me whether there is anything of interest to you.

Kind Regards.
 06 August 2010 11:24 AM

shale

That's great. We look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Sarah Hale
IET Assistant Archivist
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.