Topic Title: Missing posts
Topic Summary: In Top index but not in thread
Created On: 27 April 2010 08:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 June 2010 07:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

Originally posted by: rossall
When a page is "full" (has 20 messages in your case), and you post another message, a new page is started (obviously). Therefore Fusetalk adds navigation buttons at the top and bottom. These offer page 1, page 2, next, etc. The page refreshes to do this. However, the message you have added is on the next page, and so is not shown.

If you use the newly-appeared buttons, you can navigate to it. However, they are probably above or below your screen, so you don't notice them. When someone else posts, you get taken to the new page anyway.

There was no new page button or anything else from the user point of view...basically there is a bug in the software. Everything came up as it should only after my post.

Regards.
 11 June 2010 10:09 AM

rossall

westonpa - could I just clarify how you were aware of mbirdi's post? Did you receive an email notification and refresh the page, or had you refreshed the page anyway just before posting?

Regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 11 June 2010 10:23 AM

rossall

Rod - I do recognise that we deal with a string of minor issues as you describe. However, I note the same in the equivalent feedback-type categories in other forums that I use. These are based on the major forum packages that one might consider (phpBB, SMF, etc.) The issue is one of judgement over whether the level of problems that we encounter is more than one would expect given our levels of activity; we have about a quarter of a million messages in Wiring, which is our largest category.

I ought to state that one related effect that we have seen is the following. When you post a message, the form necessarily forces a refresh of the main thread page, so that your new message can be seen. Occasionally, if the system runs slowly, the message is submitted, but the refresh fails. The user then needs to refresh the page manually to show the new message in its place. Messages failing to appear have confused some users, so that they have reposted. The consequent refresh then shows both versions. It is not clear that changing packages would alter this behaviour, since all major packages work in essentially the same way in this respect; instead we need to manage system performance.

Emphatically the IET is responsible for the choice of package, and especially, having managed that, then so am I personally. I am pleased that you find the integrated log-in helpful, as providing that has been a core principle of the IET's Web-based member services over most of a decade (though the system has been redesigned and extended considerably during that time).

You are correct that enquiries are often best raised directly. This is especially true if personal information or circumstances are involved. We receive a constant stream via the Webmaster form (accessed via the help link at the bottom of each page). However, we are happy to answer in public if the enquirer prefers that, and that is the purpose of this discussion category.

Best regards

David Rossall
 11 June 2010 11:15 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: rossall

westonpa - could I just clarify how you were aware of mbirdi's post? Did you receive an email notification and refresh the page, or had you refreshed the page anyway just before posting?

Regards

I logged onto the site and in the main forums page I could see an indication that mbirdi had posted at 09.46 PM. I went looking for that post in the relevant forum and it was not visible. I exited the site cleared all my cache and then logged back onto the site using both IE and Firefox and again could not find the post. I then posted my comment and hey presto a new page was started with mbirdi's post at the top and mine in second place. Of course I am always second to mbirdi.

Regards.
 11 June 2010 05:04 PM

rossall

Thanks, that's clear.

It would be really useful to get an indication of whether more than one person sees this at once. There is always the possibility of a page being cached locally to the user (browser or more likely ISP). However, that wouldn't explain why the addition of a second message would clear the problem, unless it were simply that the extra time until that happened led to the cache expiring.

Again, I'll keep raising this with Fusetalk. We did not reproduce it in our tests described below.

Regards

David Rossall
 11 June 2010 11:05 PM

westonpa

David, with all respect to you I was a senior programmer with Siemens and I can assure you that it IS NOT a user related problem. The earlier threads have already stated that more than one person has seen the same problem and we each have different PC's and we have now used different browsers and cleared our caches. The problem is something to do with the software at the IET end. Maybe this is linked to the individual settings we users can set in our profiles....who knows but that is still your end. Obviously it is a rare occurence and I accept these faults are often the hardest to find. It's fusetalk's problem so tell them to get a programmer with IEng or CEng.

Regards.
 13 June 2010 11:32 PM

rossall

Caching problems are not necessarily user related - they can happen at ISPs as well, for example.

There were 26 messages in this thread before I posted this (original and 25 replies), so I have set my preferences to 26 ascending and I'm going to see whether this appears for me to read before anyone replies.

I can only keep trying this; being able to reproduce it would make it much easier when asking Fusetalk for a fix.

Edit: same as before - new page created, but Fusetalk does not (apparently by design) forward me to that page. The buttons appear however and I can get there, or I wouldn't be making this edit

Regards

David Rossall
 13 June 2010 11:48 PM

westonpa

I have had the problem on different ISP's.

Sky and BT.

Regards.
 14 June 2010 09:14 AM

rossall

I have been asked by Fusetalk for screen shots of the profile and personal options pages for affected users. If you would like to help with this, and do not already have my email address to send the images, please PM me.

David Rossall
 14 June 2010 05:09 PM

mbirdi

Just conducted a small experiment by creating test messages. This one is message 10. 10 further test messages (up to 20) were created on this page 2. The 21st test message appeared over on page 3 without any problems.

Whatever the problem is seems to be occuring randomly as I experienced it late last week.

Apologies to those who may have received adverts of 11 messages by me.

Edited: 14 June 2010 at 05:31 PM by mbirdi
 14 June 2010 05:52 PM

rossall

Thanks to westonpa and Keith who have provided screenshots as requested. I have passed these on.

mbirdi's conclusion agrees with mine that the problem is not occurring systematically. Nonetheless I am asking the suppliers to investigate.

Edit: this message created a new page for me, and again it appeared normally, except that, as above, I was not forwarded to the new page.

Regards

David Rossall
 16 June 2010 03:58 PM

rossall

Just an update.

Fusetalk have accepted the suggestion of forwarding users who post the first message on a new page to that page. This should be in the next release (no timescale).

They are unable to reproduce the problem of messages being hidden from their authors until the next message is posted.

Regards

David Rossall
IET » Feedback and questions » Missing posts

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.