Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems using forums
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 February 2010 06:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 February 2010 06:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

spinlondon

When quoting a post, the quoted post gets a space entered between lines wherever there was a return in the original post.
If this new post is again quoted, anothe space is entered.
This can sometimes mean that a single post can take up most of a page unless the space is deleted each time.

When editing a post, returns in the original post are deleted.
So where you may have formated your text into paragraphs or lines for ease of reading, editing to correct a spelling mistake leaves you with a single block of text.
 07 February 2010 06:51 AM

spinlondon

Originally posted by: spinlondon

When quoting a post, the quoted post gets a space entered between lines wherever there was a return in the original post.

This can sometimes mean that a single post can take up most of a page unless the space is deleted each time.

So where you may have formated your text into paragraphs or lines for ease of reading, editing to correct a spelling mistake leaves you with a single block of text.

For instance.
 07 February 2010 06:51 AM

spinlondon

For instance.

And again.
 07 February 2010 06:54 AM

spinlondon

When quoting a post, the quoted post gets a space entered between lines wherever there was a return in the original post. If this new post is again quoted, anothe(r) space is entered. This can sometimes mean that a single post can take up most of a page unless the space is deleted each time. When editing a post, returns in the original post are deleted. So where you may have formated your text into paragraphs or lines for ease of reading, editing to correct a spelling mistake leaves you with a single block of text. Eddited to add r in brackets.
 08 February 2010 04:49 PM

rossall

We'll have a look at this and get back to you.

If I may suggest it, in forums it is often better to use quotes very sparingly. In emails, it can be useful, so that your correspondent can refer to the point to which you are responding. In a Web forum, that point is typically there in the previous message. Therefore, even without the present issue, quoting tends to make threads unnecessarily long and difficult to navigate. If the next author then quotes both messages, it gets very hard to find the part of his or her message that is saying something new.

Even if responding to a point several messages earlier, you can often quote just the contributor's name. For example, I have not quoted your message because it is enough for me to say this:

spinlondon - I agree, this is very annoying, and even though I have suggested a work around we need to look at it.

Best regards

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 19 July 2010 03:20 PM

rossall

Alan

We are investigating this. We have been able to reproduce it. I am not sure at this point whether it is related to the original issue, as there have been some log-in related problems over the weekend.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

David Rossall
 27 July 2010 09:26 AM

rossall

We have corrected the recent problem with incorrect message counts, which is also mentioned in this thread.

Regards

David Rossall
 20 September 2010 05:00 AM

vincomgo

I dont understand it much.what is the main problem here.I think that everything is oke
----------
Website Development

Edited: 22 September 2010 at 05:27 AM by vincomgo
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.