Topic Title: Retired Members Subscriptions
Topic Summary: Killing the Golden Goose
Created On: 11 November 2009 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 December 2009 05:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

agnessegal

Any member, with the exception of students and members in India and China who already enjoy substantial reductions, can request to pay the rate which is a 50% discount off the full fee if their income, for what ever reason, is below £20,000.

-------------------------
Agnes Segal
 03 December 2009 06:50 PM

mbirdi

When India and China become rich superpowers and can afford to develope their countries like Dubai, will the IET remember to raise overseas subscription rates and lower UK rate's since this country will have gone to the dogs?
 03 December 2009 07:28 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: mbirdi

When India and China become rich superpowers and can afford to develope their countries like Dubai, will the IET remember to raise overseas subscription rates and lower UK rate's since this country will have gone to the dogs?

Dogs have rights you know.

Regards.
 03 December 2009 08:37 PM

mbirdi

I know. I'll have one to keep me company while I try and sell the 'Big Issue' outside the Houses of Parliament .

Lord Birdi and his dog
 05 December 2009 02:50 PM

davidgrant00

BCS £40

ILE £42

RAeS £42 / £47

IMechE £51.50

ICE £55

IET £72.50

Spot the odd one out
 05 December 2009 03:40 PM

roddalitz

davidgrant00 left out:

Institute of Physics £50 over 60, free over 70

regards, Rod Dalitz (CEng MIEE FInstP)
rod.dalitz@blueyonder.co.uk
 06 December 2009 10:09 PM

jcm256

Interesting to note that the Engineering Council fee is reduced by half when retired regardless of income, the IET should pass this small saving on to retired members who are also registered with EC.

http://www.engc.org.uk/profess...alifications/fees.aspx
 07 December 2009 03:34 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: g3xoi

As a certain film actor said "Not a lot of people know that!"

I certainly didn't

I didn't either. Have any of our retired members had this EC fee reduction passed on to them from the IET.

Daniel
 07 December 2009 04:15 PM

afwilson

This is also stated on the IET website.

Originally posted by: jcm256

Interesting to note that the Engineering Council fee is reduced by half when retired regardless of income, the IET should pass this small saving on to retired members who are also registered with EC.

Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 07 December 2009 04:28 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: afwilson

This is also stated on the IET website.

Originally posted by: jcm256

Thank you for your response.

Daniel
 08 December 2009 06:48 PM

DavidParr

I am very concerned that the damaging effects of increasing subscription charges for retired/retiring members may not have been fully thought through. There has been some discussion on the subject on these forums, but I believe this may be just the tip of the iceberg.

There are some key people working for the institution, performing various roles associated with professional development, networks, etc. The institution are, quite rightly, putting a lot of effort into increasing membership amongst students and the many professional engineers who are hold key positions in industry, but who have not, to date, recognised the benefits associated with membership and accreditation. We will need the experience and enthusiasm of ALL volunteers to make this fully effective, and yet we are actively discouraging a whole raft of key people by these subscription charges.

I must assume that the people who made these decisions find themselves in the fortunate position of being able to afford these charges, however it is becoming increasingly difficult for may people to justify paying a full subscription post retirement. I honestly feel that all the good work that has been started may be destroyed by the flood of volunteers that will leave the institution. The amount of money gained by the increased subscription paid by the remainder will be wiped out because of the people who simply do not join the institution, since those who would have advised them are no longer there.

I am not planning to retire for some years, nevertheless I would hope at that stage I might still be in a position to support the institution through voluntary activity, but I would have difficulty in justifying the payment of a full subscription simply to allow me to continue volunteering!

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA

Edited: 30 November 2009 at 07:56 AM by DavidParr
 08 December 2009 06:48 PM

MikeWrigley

I would most sincerely echo David's posting. Retired members are often the very backbone of volunteer activities and the decision appears very short sighted indeed.

Mike Wrigley
Past Chairman, French Network
 15 December 2009 08:11 AM

DavidParr

The previous two posts (myself and Mike's) were moved to here fom "Ask the Chief Exec" by the board administrator. I trust that this doesn't mean that what I consider to be an important topic has been hidden from view and "downgraded".

I have written to Nigel Fine via snail mail, as that method of communication is probably taken more seriously than bulletin board postings.

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 15 December 2009 09:50 AM

rossall

I moved the messages in accordance with normal policy for these forums. If two discussions on the same topic develop, it is confusing for everyone. Some points are made in both threads, and some in only one; some participants feel obliged to scan both threads for the unique postings, while others do not notice the second thread, and so see only part of the debate.

Agnes Segal and Andrew Wilson have already responded to this thread, so it is receiving attention.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 15 December 2009 10:29 AM

DavidParr

David, thank you for the clarification.

Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 24 January 2010 06:27 PM

jcm256

Could the IET consider a retired scheme like The Chartered Insurance Institute, Where they value Retired members?

http://www.cii.co.uk/cii/membe.../retired_members.aspx

John Moore IEng MIET
IET » Feedback and questions » Retired Members Subscriptions

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.