Topic Title: Retired Members Subscriptions
Topic Summary: Killing the Golden Goose
Created On: 11 November 2009 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 November 2009 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

allan1942

Most of us don't bother looking into retirement options until a letter arrives from the Pensions people... then one starts worrying about whether one has 49 years contributions or whatever...
Well, I'm now over 65 and starting to think of retiring maybe next year when I'm 68.
Not following the IEE (sorry IET) machinations for many years I was more than slightly surprised to find that subscriptions for retired members have been increased rather than decreased, and I'm expected to pay £174 from next January.
A letter about my surprise to this was answered quite promptly, blaming a falling membership and that IET is now looking to its retired members to pay up (or presumably resign).
Why should I resign? Having been a member since I was a lad, surely I should have some say in the matter. Maybe a vote of "no confidence in the management" is the solution?
For starters, I'd like to see where our money is going...
I'm really annoyed
Is anyone else?
 11 November 2009 06:17 PM

danielscott

I will be 66 next year when my subscription is to be renewed, but I noted that if you are retired and will have an income of less than 20,000 pounds, then you can apply for a 50% reduction.

Hope I am correct.
 11 November 2009 07:07 PM

mbirdi

Retired members in the IoP who are 70 or over pay nothing. The IET needs to cut costs for those members drastically even if that means no diary and no IET magazines, as long as they can keep in touch online and keep their membership titles.

As a matter of fact I would be happy to donate my diary and magazines to a member who's 70 or over so they can enjoy them along with their free membership....provided they're not a millionaire.

Edited: 11 November 2009 at 09:11 PM by mbirdi
 11 November 2009 08:16 PM

jcm256

The IET is a UK charity. Could the IET not look into tax gift aid as a way of raising funds by Gift Aid donations from its members us reducing the burden on pensioners who can't claim tax relief on membership fees.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individ...giving/tax-return.htm

jcm
 12 November 2009 12:27 PM

DavidParr

I think the IoP have got it right! Someone who has been a member for most of their life, and retires, should be able to keep their membership for a nominal fee, just enough to cover administration. Maybe they could introduce "activity points" to encourage people to volunteer and "earn" this right.

I expect that the IET will realise that they have made a terrible mistake here, and change things, long before the time comes for me to retire!

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 12 November 2009 02:51 PM

tickner

To be fair to The IET (and I don't have much love for the IET about fees right now), there are discounts that can be applied it just takes effort to find out about them and claim them.

50% discount for 50 years membership

50% discount at retire

50% discount for income less than £20,000

I would argue that you can save yourself more by dropping your Engineering Council fees - which not be what you want, but considering how much status is accorded to a EngTech/IEng/CEng these days - is it really worth the money when you are retired?

Not sure if you can try claim more than one together, probably not these days.

You want to see where your money goes? Well, some idea can be gained by looking here >> Annual Reports

(note, I'm not anywhere near retirement)

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 12 November 2009 03:01 PM

westonpa

'(note, I'm not anywhere near retirement)'

The IET are really happy knowing they have MANY more years of FULL premiums from you......LOL.

Regards.
 12 November 2009 03:07 PM

tickner

Originally posted by: westonpa
The IET are really happy knowing they have MANY more years of FULL premiums from you......LOL.

That's not necessarily true!

Mark Tickner CEng MIET
 12 November 2009 04:26 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: tickner
To be fair to The IET (and I don't have much love for the IET about fees right now), there are discounts that can be applied it just takes effort to find out about them and claim them.
    50% discount for 50 years membership

Someone who joins at 20 would be 70 after 50 years membership. If they joined at 30 they'd be 80. Should they really pay 50%?

Wasn't there a time in the past when one could pay a lump sum for life membership? Why can't that be re-introduced, assuming I remember it correctly?

If all else fails, award those with 50 years membership free lifetime Honorary MIET (of FIET where applicable) with free access to IET services.

I hate to think of our senior colleagues possibly hit by recession, experiencing hard times and now left without a sense of belonging (because of lack of finance to maintain membership) after giving so much loyalty to the IET and dedication to their profession.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers

Edited: 12 November 2009 at 09:35 PM by mbirdi
 12 November 2009 05:10 PM

dvaidr

I hate to sound like the Tory I'm not but pensioners should be afforded equal opportunities and pay the full amount.
 12 November 2009 05:42 PM

DavidParr

Originally posted by: dvaidr

I hate to sound like the Tory I'm not but pensioners should be afforded equal opportunities and pay the full amount.
I fundamentally disagree David. Even for the (now) minority who can expect to receive a "full" pension, that amount is by no means a full salary, and doesn't allow for paying subscriptions to the IET (or equivalent).

The unfortunate message given out by this decision is that, once retired, unless you are rich, we don't want you! Maybe the decision makers are relatively well off, but they have a moral obligation to support their long-term loyal members who may not be. Or do they not?

Best Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 12 November 2009 06:24 PM

westonpa

I suggest a retired persons rate calculated as follows:

(State Pension/National Average Wage) x full members premuim

Better to keep the experience within the institution and some money coming in rather than let it go elsewhere.

Regards.
 12 November 2009 06:54 PM

danielscott

Originally posted by: dvaidr

I think you are being "A Devils Advocate" here David, just to stir things up.

Daniel
 12 November 2009 09:43 PM

mbirdi

Or maybe he's practicing playing the part of Scrooge in an upcoming Pantomime.
 14 November 2009 08:41 PM

CliveM

The IET needs to retain retired members for the experience they have and also they tend to have more time to volunteer. Our local committee would probably fold without the support of retired members. Whilst many 'younger' members would like to join committees for the experience they would get, the truth is that they are too busy with their early career and families to be able to devote the time.

This is something the IET needs to factor into its decisons on fees.

Clive Maude
 26 November 2009 10:34 PM

ennel

Originally posted by: mbirdi

Wasn't there a time in the past when one could pay a lump sum for life membership? Why can't that be re-introduced, assuming I remember it correctly?

If all else fails, award those with 50 years membership free lifetime Honorary MIET (of FIET where applicable) with free access to IET services.

I hate to think of our senior colleagues possibly hit by recession, experiencing hard times and now left without a sense of belonging (because of lack of finance to maintain membership) after giving so much loyalty to the IET and dedication to their profession.

Up to and including the subscription notice for 2002, the first line of text under the list of subscription rates used to read "No subscription is payable by any member with 50 years or more continuous membership" - and this was a milestone to which I looked forward.

Not to get something for nothing but, since going back to my student member days, I've included an annual donation to the Benevolent Fund, it had been my intention to carry on paying the same annual total to the IEE - but with the whole of the amount in future going to the Benevolent Fund.

However the goalposts were then apparently moved, and looking through my records I now see that from 2003 the note became "Members who achieve 50 years of membership ... are eligible for a 50% discount off the standard subscription rate".

I can't recall any clear statement of this change being made to members (and what I wonder has happened to those who prior to 2003 were on a 'nil' subscription - have they since been faced with paying a 50% fee - or is this a case of age discrimination at work so that only those who reached their '50' after 2003 have to pay?).

It's probably 18 months since I received a "Congratulations on reaching 50 years' membership of the Institution" letter from Savoy Place and as my 70th birthday is nothing but a memory, I fall into the "retired on reduced income" bracket. After the 50% 'long service discount', my 2010 sub will be reduced to less than £30 (not very much, but more than some of my bank share investments are now paying p.a.!!)

I would quite honestly prefer this to be a bit extra to the Benevolent Fund, rather than a 'moved goalpost' bit of money-grabbing by the IET.

It might seem illogical, but I'm feeling sufficiently disenchanted to be seriously contemplating whether to stop my membership Direct Debit before the beginning of next year and to say 'good bye' - meaning that both the Institution and (more sadly) the Benevolent Fund would be the losers.

As far as I can see, the only 'benefit' I'd really have to forego would be the loss of my IEE email address alias service.

Norman Elston
 27 November 2009 07:49 AM

DavidParr

I think a letter to the Chief Executive is in order!

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 27 November 2009 01:35 PM

DavidParr

Sorry, no, I was thinking (typing) aloud! I want them to change back BEFORE we lose good people, not later as a damage limitation exercise.

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 02 December 2009 02:11 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: DavidParr
Sorry, no, I was thinking (typing) aloud! I want them to change back BEFORE we lose good people, not later as a damage limitation exercise.

Can the IET reveal how many members aged 70 and over are currently paying the reduced rate? This will tell us how much more the rest of us will have to pay, over the current rate, to offset the 70+ age rate to zero.

Edited: 02 December 2009 at 02:19 PM by mbirdi
 03 December 2009 12:18 PM

ernairnp

Suppose I am not retired, but come under the "minimum income group", will the previous reduction in subscription, still valid?

Best wishes & regards
N P NAIR, MSc (Engg), C Eng, FIE(I), MIEE,Sr MIEEE.
IET » Feedback and questions » Retired Members Subscriptions

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.