Topic Title: Alias service
Topic Summary: Down again!
Created On: 04 September 2009 07:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 January 2012 11:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rossall

Thanks for the suggestion. There is some information about the alias service in the Membership section under Manage Your Membership.

-------------------------
David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 05 January 2012 11:00 AM

aplumb

I am still aware of problems redirecting through both iee.org and theiet.org. aliases. This has been going on since before Christmas. I believe the problems are intermittent though the frequency seems to have got worse and it is currently fairly repeatable. I have previously sent you a problem report with attachments and it is probably not helpful to conduct a detailed dissection of your investigation on here in public.

However, from the returned mail response I am getting indicating non-delivery I am led to believe that the DNS name server being used by the IET redirector (or perhaps by MessageLabs since it seems that all mail goes via them) is sometimes taking too long to respond (or perhaps failing to respond altogether), so the target recipient therefore cannot be reached. My concern is that if this is happening then it won't just be happening to me and other people will be losing messages but not knowing it.

I am wondering if you have visibility of how many redirected email messages your system fails to deliver (after non-existent email addresses filtered out)? In other words do you have any visibility of the quality of service which the email redirectors are providing? Or is it simply a "best-effort" service - in which case perhaps users should know this because many are probably relying on this for business critical use?

Paul Lumb

aplumb
 06 January 2012 10:49 AM

rossall

Thank you for your message. We have been investigating this problem, and have identified an issue at one of our suppliers. We have taken steps to resolve this.

We will send a personal reply to you. I apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
IET » Feedback and questions » Alias service

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.