Topic Title: Alias service
Topic Summary: Down again!
Created On: 04 September 2009 07:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 September 2009 07:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

roysimons

The alias service is down again for over a week now. This is the same situation that occured just a few weeks ago'

Surely the IET should have enough competent people available to keep this service running.

Maybe the server and the software need a major update, but currently the evidence is that the IET is not technically competent.

Roy Simons
 04 September 2009 08:03 PM

keithgparr

I'm a bit concerned at what you say, Roy. I use the IET alias services for all my email traffic and it has been working well as far as I know.

There has been a major problem with some power supplies in the head office at Stevenage and as a result the Major Domo service has been off the air for a few days - this was signalled well ahead of time and continuous updates on the state of play were delivered. It is now back on line.

Perhaps it might be helpful to identify the symptoms you have been seeing. Have you asked the IET technical department for help? I have always found them very helpful.

Keith

-------------------------
Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 05 September 2009 09:13 AM

keithgparr

Absolutely Alan, let's see if we can identify what it is!

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 05 September 2009 10:36 AM

sfchew

I have just made a test and found the service working fine. In fact I have not experienced any difficulty in the period highlighted by Roy.

May be Roy can give more information on the period that his usage of the alias service was interrupted.

The other possibility is the unusually high level of filter implemented by some service providers.

Regards
Chris Chew
 05 September 2009 07:44 PM

rossall

Roy

Since seeing your message, I have also made a check, and this showed that the system was working. I am certainly not aware of the outages that you describe, and comments from others would appear to confirm that they have not had the same experience.

The alias service was not affected by the planned maintenance that Keith describes.

Please let me have details of the problems that you have experienced. Ideally, we'll need times, dates and source emails for undelivered messages. You can either PM me or use the Webmaster form.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 07 September 2009 10:13 AM

rossall

Roy

Further to that, I have now been able to speak to my colleagues, and I understand that you have been in touch with them. The email alias service is working, and your ISP is indicating that it is accepting mail from us for your account. However, that mail is then not arriving in your mailbox.

Please continue to work with my colleagues to resolve this issue. If you have an alternative email account with a different ISP, one approach may be to try having alias messages delivered there for a time. This would then give you evidence to show your normal ISP that the problem is likely to be in their system.

Regards

David Rossall
 19 September 2009 05:26 PM

Brian Heathcote

In early September I detected problems with my IET Alias service. IET (technical) checked and reported all o.k. I then contacted my BT Broadband help desk - they adjusted my e-mail filters and the Alias now seems fine. Suggests that the problem lies with "btinternet.com" service provider's filters.
It would be interesting to know if Roy (Simmons) has a "btinternet.com" main address.

Brian
 21 September 2009 04:53 PM

rossall

Brian

I am pleased that the approach that we have suggested to Roy worked in your case. We are waiting to hear from Roy whether he has been able to contact his ISP in the same way.

As you identify, a number of members have experienced this issue with BT Internet in particular, but it is the ISP who need to make adjustments.

Regards

David Rossall
 21 September 2009 05:31 PM

rossall

I'm going to move this thread to Feedback, because I want any other member affected by the problem to see it; as that is the most relevant category for issues affecting IET services, it is the most likely place for them to look.

Regards

David Rossall
 21 September 2009 07:05 PM

roysimons

Having changed my ISP to google mail I now receive all mail addressed to {my IET alias} correctly.

I agree with Alan. The IET could suggest a form of words to use when contacting BT to get their filters adjusted. Or maybe speak to BT directly

I have one paradox. I have another alias with the Institute of Physics that passes messages addressed to {my IoP alias} to BT.
These are passed correctly to {my BT Internet address} Roy Simons

{Edited by moderator to remove explicit email addresses}

Edited: 22 September 2009 at 09:31 AM by IET Moderator
 22 September 2009 09:47 AM

rossall

I don't think there is an exact form of words that I can give.

First, I would recommend (whatever your ISP) that you check any "presumed spam" folder that you may have, into which your ISP sorts messages for you that have been identified as potentially junk mail. If you use Webmail, this will be one of your mail folders. If you download mail and read it with Outlook, Thunderbird or any other mail client, the presumed spam may be held on your ISP's mail server, rather than delivered to you. You may need to log in to a Webmail interface to view it. Typically it will be deleted automatically after a set number of days.

Many ISPs offer a feedback mechanism, so that you can mark mail as spam or not. This helps to improve their filtering.

Therefore, if the problem is mail being sorted as junk, and you cannot fix it just by marking it as "Not spam", you should inform your ISP of the specific messages and (in this case) that they are alias (i.e. redirected) traffic.

If the problem is that the messages do not arrive in your account at all, they are presumably being blocked by earlier stages of your ISP's anti-spam measures. In this case, you will need to tell your ISP of some specific examples, ideally with sender, time and date. Again, you should point out that the messages were redirected via your IET email alias and give that address as well.

Roy, I have taken the liberty of removing all your email addresses from your last message. I was concerned that these would be picked up by robots and lead to you receiving (additional) spam.

Hope this helps but let me know if I can provide more information.

Regards

David Rossall
 22 September 2009 10:44 AM

rossall

Just to address Roy's point about IoP alias traffic being delivered, it is hard to give a specific answer. Anti-spam measures are many and various, including looking for specific words and patterns, at senders, and so on. In some cases, it is not one specific feature of a message, but an overall "score", that leads to its being identified as spam. Generally, the details of measures aren't published, because that would assist spammers to work around them (so we can't know what the problem is either).

I've sent test messages to both my own IET alias and my IoP one, and I can't see an immediate difference in approach. Therefore, whilst you could certainly draw the attention of your ISP to the fact that traffic to one is delivered more successfully than to the other, I do not believe that this is necessarily more than an unintended effect of something that the ISP's filtering is doing.

However, if they are able to offer an explanation, please do pass it on.

Regards

David Rossall
 23 September 2009 04:01 PM

perspicacious

"I'm going to move this thread to Feedback, because I want any other member affected by the problem to see it; as that is the most relevant category for issues affecting IET services, it is the most likely place for them to look."

With all respect why should I need to look at Feedback as this is something I give in response to a service? How am I to know that I'm not receiving emails via the alias?

As this falls into the category of an announcement, announce it....

Better still, why couldn't all those members using the alias service who are with the provider causing the problem be emailed by the IET (to their underlying address!) announcing that you are aware of a problem........?

Regards

BOD
 08 March 2010 10:52 PM

mark213

Hi David, Ive sent you a PM Some of mine are definitely are being blocked somewhere... They are specifically emails from Ebay and Paypal. Other emails from other places arrive via the alias no problem so I very much doubt its a problem at this end. Oh and mail from Ebay arrives directly no problem so its definitely an IET fault. Is anyone else getting blocks from Ebay via the IET? Many thanks Mark

Edited: 08 March 2010 at 10:59 PM by mark213
 09 March 2010 02:08 AM

macdavies

Good day/evening gentlemen, I was intrigued by the re-emergence of this topic raised by Roy Simons back in early September 2009 and recently rejuvenated by Mark213 with his reply/posting dated 8 March 2010. It would appear that Roy was able to redirect his 'IET bound' email from his original 'troublesome' ISP to his google mail account to good effect i.e. it immediately worked and continued to do so and that the IET website based redirection service was still up and running in mid to late September 2009.

I also redirected my alias from a long standing Freeserve dial-up PAYG account to a fixed tariff Anytime dial-up account when I moved to BTYahoo as my ISP about 3 years ago. As I recall, after completing a simple redirection process on line, within the confines of my IET Members account - I received an immediate automated message to say that the redirection would be completed within 48 hours - and this was indeed the case and it has apparently performed satisfactorily ever since with only some occasional longer than usual delays between sending my monthly 'test message' to myself and receipt of the same back in my desktop Outlook Express mail account.

Two weeks ago, on Wednesday 24 February, I attempted to redirect my alias to my recently set up Plusnet broadband account and found that the IET online redirection webform had been removed. I was directed to use what appears to be just the regular, casual, non-urgent enquiry route. After some additional email enquiries directly to the membership department, and a posting from me in the IET Feedback Forums on 4 March the IET Membership Retention Manager kindly offered, on Friday 5 March at 09:30 hrs, to investigate my complaint but now on 9th March at T + 8 'working days' days and counting - I am still waiting for my mail to be redirected.

May I ask when the web based redirection service was removed and whether it is now inadvisable for me and IET Members in general to rely upon the IET Alias service as the prime point of contact on all our letter heads, professional correspondence and in particular on our CVs?

I am currently unemployed and am relying on and have in the past relied upon this service for many years - is it now time for me to surrender the originally intended 'convenience' of maintaining a single email alias whilst permitting me to occasionally redirect it to a new ISP ?

It seems lamentable that the IET may not be as safe a home for my professional email address as the likes of google, yahoo and hotmail!

I am currently in the process of rewriting my CV and I am minded to create a new professional email account with google or similar as my sole account for both the transmission and receipt of all my future professional email. This approach has the benefit of variety reduction and may make for less confusion when potential employers or clients contact me via one address only to receive my replies from another account.

Does the IET have any plans to offer such a service to its Members, in the form of a fully comparable email account service for transmission and receipt of professional emails similar to google mail, or even just a simple but functional TX and RX mail service such as Squirrel Mail as hosted by Plusnet and if so could this be accommodated within the current very generously endowed IET subscription tariff of typically £181 per annum? For comparison, there are several basic 8Mbps broadband service providers in the UK currently able to maintain a fully acceptable email and broadband quality of service with a low service outage track record at an inclusive annual cost of less than half the IET subscription rate.

It is true to say that the IET does not set out to be a Broadband ISP but surely it might consider hosting a basic TX/RX email service as one of the inclusive benefits of Membership?

Food for thought, gentlemen?

electron_thunder

Edited: 09 March 2010 at 01:37 PM by macdavies
 09 March 2010 01:36 PM

rossall

Thanks for these messages, and I am sorry that you have encountered problems. I believe that there are three main points in the enquiries from mark213 and macdavies.

Missing messages

The most common cause of these (see my message on 22 September) is that the member's own ISP has mis-identified alias traffic, after forwarding by the IET, as spam. This typically results in messages being sorted into a "Junk Mail" or "Probable Spam" folder. This is generally available only via Webmail, i.e. members will need to log into their ISPs' Web sites and view mail there, instead of via "clients" such as Outlook Express.

Typically, there will be a method of marking the messages as "Not spam", and this may feed back into the ISP's filtering, to improve it for next time for all members using that ISP. Moving the messages back to the Inbox should result in their being downloaded if you use a mail client. It may be necessary to make this check from time to time in case further messages are sorted wrongly.

The form in My IET

In fact, the previous form in My IET did not make changes directly. The alias redirections have always been managed by staff. The form simply submitted your request for you. That of course means that changes should be put into effect just as quickly now as before.

Future plans

There are no immediate plans to offer a Webmail service of the type described by macdavies. However, the service is kept under review and alias holders will certainly be informed of any changes and enhancements.

I'll contact both of you directly about your individual issues.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David Rossall
 17 March 2010 07:40 PM

MikeWrigley

A few years ago there was another explanation for missing messages. I discovered that mails to my iee alias from certain correspondants were systematically blocked, presumably as spam although there might have been a "virus lookalike" which my own AV didn't complain about. When I identified the problem, starting with a phone call to ask why I hadn't had their quotation, and asked them to use another address all their subsequent mails arrived. I don't know if the alias passes through an anti-spam today but I would guess that the message footer "This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System." is an indication that this may be the case.
Can David Rossall enlighten us? Is the scan purely for viruses or does it block potential spams too?

Mike Wrigley
Past Chairman, French Network
 17 March 2010 09:54 PM

mark213

Seems GMAIL has has made a change to the way it handles EBAY and Paypal messages, and uses DKIM to authenticate each one..

http://groups.google.com/group...184c/d6e2755a4472536a

--------------------------
Hi everyone,
I'm pleased to announce that Gmail is now using DKIM to decide whether
to accept PayPal and eBay messages. There should be no problem in most
cases, but if your forwarding server breaks the authenticating
signature, then the messages will be rejected. You can make sure that
your server is correctly configured for forwarding DKIM
authentication, or you can configure eBay to send directly to the
Gmail account.

Here's some additional information:
http://news.google.com/news?ie...n&resnum=1&ncl=1226...
Best,

Sarah
Gmail Guide Yellow
 19 March 2010 02:06 PM

rossall

Mike

Categorically yes, we block spam (and yes, we currently use MessageLabs). This will, I know, be what many members expect and demand (I believe that the last survey of alias users was 95% in favour), but it's essential that we do anyway.

The basis of an alias service is that we receive mail, and then re-send it to you. Therefore, for your ISP/employer/whatever, we are the immediate source of the mail. If we forward spam, they may block mail from us, including legitimate mail.

Thus, if we do not block spam, we may not be able to deliver your mail at all. This, of course, is the result that your ISP is seeking, since they don't want to handle the spam either

Regards

David Rossall
 19 March 2010 05:56 PM

CliveM

David,

I was under the impression that your spam filters were an option. I asked some time ago for the IET not to filter spam from my alias because of the possibility of false positives. Iuse my ISP spam filters because I can check the emails they have classed as spam. If the alias system is filtering out spam and I cannot check what has been blocked then it is of no use to me and I will have to rethink the use of the alias system..

Clive Maude
IET » Feedback and questions » Alias service

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.