Increase font size
Topic Title: Discussion Forum
Topic Summary: why is it so obscure
Created On: 17 April 2009 09:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 April 2009 09:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

brianslater

Apologies in advance for posting this twice (also under wiring regs)

But my simple question is, why is the invaluable discussion forum buried so obscurely from the home page

how do you navigate to from the home page
 18 April 2009 12:06 AM

seanelder

i write in 'forum' into the site search engine and it really ***** me off.

SORT IT OUT ADMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!11

-------------------------
Sean Elder
London
 18 April 2009 03:22 AM

sfchew

It is not an easy task to alow everyone to get what they want from the website in the fastest possible manner.

Discussion forum is listed on the home page but some may not be able to find it.

I am at a loss deciding where to place it among the categories of major topics.

May be someone can suggest a prominent space to display it.

Generally if someone uses any browser to search for some technical problems IET discussion forum will be displayed.

Regards
Chris Chew
 18 April 2009 07:46 AM

keithgparr

Brian

If you look on the home page under "quick finder" (in the right hand column) you'll find a link to the discussion forums.

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 18 April 2009 09:56 AM

brianslater

Well thats strange, Im sure it wasnt there yesterday, and if it was that easy (and the logical place for it) then I would have found it straight away.

But never mind, its there now and that solves the problem

IMHO Mr Sean elder could use a lesson in good manners

Edited: 18 April 2009 at 09:57 AM by brianslater
 18 April 2009 10:02 AM

keithgparr

It's been there for a long time, Brian, I can't say exactly how long but at least a year.

In my view, the problem is that there is simply too much on the page, the viewer is overwhelmed and gives up.

There was a similar case for the TPNs which were several clicks away from the front page (if you knew how!) but the team have now put a link under "quick finder" to communities - one click and you're there.

Glad you found it and that it meets the need!!

Keith

Keith Parr
Council 2006-10
Consultants' Professional Network - 2009
Benelux LN - 2009
http://keithparr.tel/
 18 April 2009 11:24 AM

sfchew

On the other hand we need to provide a better search facility.

If someone asked for discussion forum in search mode it should be displayed as well.

Regards
Chris Chew
 20 April 2009 09:18 AM

seanelder

Since when did having a little joke become rude! lighten up mate you don't have to be serious all the time.

Sean Elder
London
 20 April 2009 09:49 AM

rossall

The difficulty with the word forum is that it is so widely used. In particular, in an organisation such as the IET, that frequently works collaboratively with those who share our aims, there are many "forums" in which we participate - hence the range of results that you get if you search for the term.

However, in the results of a search for "forum", we do provide a recommended link. It's currently displayed in the right-hand column, although we are looking at the prominence of that.

It is not clear that the forums would naturally fit in any of the main sections on the main Web site, which is why they are linked from the right-hand column on the home page and also on various other pages to which they are relevant. Of course forum postings are also highlighted in various appropriate places in the Knowledge Network.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 16 December 2011 01:48 PM

james0212

Agree with Brian Slater, I've been cut off from a forum and I've come across this while trying to get back...after going all over the page I searched "forums"
Checkout the really easy forums, people are impatient these days, I feel a lot of difficult websites don't get tested with average users, what seems easy to someone in IT, can be quite confusing to a less computer literate member.
Checkout Radiospares "new" website, thousands of errors and difficult to use, must have cost them money and customers. Some manufacturers want your whole life history just to find a budget price of a component.
Last gripe, don't assume that everyone is familiar with acronyns and trendy terms, e.g. the toolbar above apart from bold, italics and underline I've no idea what these symbols are, and below I've not a clue what "do not parse emoticons" would do if I click on it.
OK now to find the control & instrumentation..
 18 December 2011 12:14 AM

CliveM

Alan,

The post you quote from was posted in 2009 and the pages you see today look much different. There are actually links to the forum at both the top of the page, under "get involved" and also at the bottom as you say.

Clive Maude
 18 December 2011 08:21 AM

raymondfcragg

Your shouldnt have to search for the links to other areas of the site. They should be placed in an obvious place so they can easily be seen
 19 December 2011 01:25 PM

rossall

Originally posted by: g3xoiAlso, the site no longer remembers one's log-in name, let alone password.

I'll pick this up on the thread that covers Remember Me.

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 17 December 2013 02:09 AM

kengreen

yes indeed,

I would like to pick up on the point raised by James 0212. The world today is becoming neckdeep in "quick speak"! It says little about the teaching of one's mother tongue.

The most glorious example that I have come across was a fault report from Microsoft back circa 1998/9 which ran:

"Unable to execute multiple instances of the executable." (I kid you not.)

Had it been "... You silly b*""*r that one's already running..." I might have been amused instead of beginning work on designing a nuke!

I would love to see a return to the pre-Victorian use of the long constructions that are the true meaning of contractions such as "can't/won't/Tom Brown's school days". Just why is there so much confusion over the placing of an apostrophe which is the essential part of a contraction?

Ken Green

Ken Green
 24 December 2013 02:13 PM

Morgen

I think this is a best platform for every business.It is not an easy task to alow everyone to get what they want from the website in the fastest possible manner.Discussion forum is listed on the home page but some may not be able to find it.
I am at a loss deciding where to place it among the categories of major topics.i wanna discus on this topic.Thanks for sharing this information.

Oceanside Hotels | Camp Pendleton Hotel
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.