Increase font size
Topic Title: IET in the UAE
Topic Summary: Lets Get It Together
Created On: 25 October 2008 06:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 October 2008 06:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stevelamb

Hi all,
I have been living within the UAE for a number of years now and have begun the route to become chartered.

I attend the Professional Chartered Engineers UAE group whenever possible and can say that their lecture evenings are very good.

However, the main issue is the number of IET members that attend; currently it is mainly made up of ICE & IMechE members.

The PCE was created some years ago to aid those Professional Engineers and those seeking Professional Registration within the Emirates (and surrounding regions).
As there were not a significant number of individuals from one institution, they decided to disband the ICE, IMechE & IEE and form the PCE to aid all Engineers within the region.

I believe there are a number of members within the IET in this region and we should either support this group or break away as some are trying to do. In saying this, we can only be a stronger community if we all stick together; however as part of TheIET I believe that more needs to be done to promote evenings and events within this region for those members who are attaining to gain their Professional Registration or those who are Professionally Registered and want to continue their CPD.

In short I would like all members that live in this region to decide what they want from their IET membership, do you want to be recognised within the Engineering community and receive more support from the IET

Also I am an Associate of the Institution of Environmental Management and Assessment and they have managed to start up (very recently) once a month meetings at Le Meridian Mina Syahi, all orientated via the IEMA communications.
Emails are sent from IEMA as well as reminders that the evening is taking place; I think I have had one or two emails last year regarding the PCE UAE and non for events within the region.

For those that do or have attended the PCE evenings in the past, what do you think?
Are they worth while?
Are there any issues you found with it?
Is the location good?
Are the timings good?
Could we encompass all the meetings in one evening/month including Professional Review?
How could they improve their service?
What measures could we take to help?
What measures could the IET take to help?

In closing I would like to thank the team at the PCE for their efforts in trying to aid the Engineering community within the UAE.

-------------------------
Steven Michael Lamb BEngHons MSc IEng CEnv CWEM MCIWEM MIEMA MIET
 25 October 2008 10:03 AM

stevelamb

Thanks for the reply, I believe they have done so in the past.

We need The IET to sponsor some events within the region, there are many courses / events that they can do here, this would also raise the profile of the institution too.

Steve

04 February 2009 03:24 PM

Simon750

Finally managed to speak to someone at PCE UAE and I will start to attend some meetings, especially as (according to IET), there are no PRA's in the UAE. The nearest one is in KSA

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM

Edited: 04 February 2009 at 03:26 PM by Simon750
 07 June 2009 03:20 PM

shafir

Dear Mr.Steve Lamb:

I am currently in UAE.Being an Associate member IET, I would like to transfer to Full member.I need a supporter to apply.Hope, you could support my case being a Member.

Thank YOu,

Regards
Shafir
 17 June 2009 06:00 PM

stevelamb

Hi there,
I am happy to assist please drop me an email at stevelamb@theiet.org and we can arrange to meet.

Steve

18 June 2009 01:08 PM

manadasor

Steve,

Having undertaken to IET accreditations of the Professional Development scheme at ADCO in Abu Dhabi, I also provided advice on CEng and Fellow Applications with successful outcomes.

Using your email address I will approach possible contacts, inviting them to get in touch with yourself.

Ron McMurtrie
 30 June 2009 01:36 PM

stevelamb

All,
There is a Facebook page located at :
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?...5G664SSR36DUEEITBZ2PS
if that does not work please search for IET UAE in the groups section.

This will be uses as a starting point to get members together within the UAE (And surrounding areas i.e. Oman)

Steve

01 July 2009 01:13 PM

Simon750

Steve,

Sent you a PM on this very subject before seeing the update on this thread.

I haven't been able to get to any of the PCE UAE meetings in the last few months as I have been seconded to a project in Doha. Hopefully I will be back in the UAE from August and would then be able to start attending.

It would be nice to see an active IET prescence in the UAE

Simon Long CMgr FCMI FInstLM
 01 July 2009 02:30 PM

stevelamb

Hi Simon,
It has been hectic for me too, I was on Lusail for a month on and off but back in Abu Dhabi now.

Steve

06 July 2009 09:35 AM

stevelamb

All in the UAE,
We are trying to rally up members, there is a Facebook page created in order to get the community going.

If you live in the UAE or surrounding area, please show your support; either search for IET UAE or copy and past address in:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98980412527

Thanks

Steve

25 September 2009 05:22 PM

stevelamb

To all members within the UAE and surrounding areas, I have set up a facebook group so we can start to get ourselves organised.

We will support the PCE setup, but have a focus on IET specific issues.

Please search the facebook groups for IET UAE or copy and past the link http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=98980412527
and join the group.

Steve

20 August 2011 09:01 AM

iie619446

Dear Steve,

I see the last post was 2 years ago, so I will use your email address to contact you as I do not do facebook ( that can be another posting if I get time ), do you have a group on Linkedin?

In the mean time I will be personally trying to use Dubai as my permanent base so I am interested in supporting other members of the IET.

My contact details are paulsmethurst@me.com

Regards

Paul Smethurst - I Eng MIET
 17 February 2013 12:31 PM

tomchubb

I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in joining other members in the region.
I've just sent a joining request on facebook.
Let me know if there's a LinkedIn group as well as I can't easily get onto facebook while at work.
Thanks
 17 February 2013 05:17 PM

rossall

There is a UAE network in the new IET MyCommunity site.

This site also has a directory of local networks.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David Rossall
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
 19 February 2013 06:42 AM

iainmurdoch

Steve (and others),
The Europe, Middle East & Africa Communities Committee (CC-EMEA) recently held an IPRA workshop in Dubai with the aim of ensuring there were people in the UAE and ME region trained to deliver professional registration workshops. This was done with the attendance of a PCE rep. We are seeing an increase of activity in the ME region and it would be great if you had some time to help the UAE network to hold some activities, maybe you can send me a private message to discuss further opportunities.

It might als be worth visiting the My Communities area for the UAE group or EMEA groups for more specific information about activity in the region.

Regards
Iain Murdoch
CC-EMEA Chair
Imurdoch@theiet.org
 19 May 2013 01:52 PM

EmmaPaull

Pretty grateful for providing the link, I really appreciate your humbleness.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.