Increase font size
Topic Title: East West Rail - the Oxford to Bedford route
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 April 2014 01:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 April 2014 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

The government recently announced £38 billion to be spent by Network Rail over the next 5 year period. Getting a full and detailed breakdown of this spending is difficult.

Plans for £38 billion investment in railways unveiled

Millions to benefit from massive multi-billion pound railway investment programme

Included in the plans is funding of the order of £250 million for East West Rail Project, connecting Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury, Milton Keynes and Bedford. A further project to connect Bedford and Cambridge is not yet finalised, but funding for this may arrive 5 years from now.

http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk/

This project gives much better value for money per taxpayer pound spent than HS2. Additionally if the Great Central Line between Banbury and Rugby were rejuvenated, then some West coast mainline services can transfer to the Chiltern Line before heading into London. Bicester becomes a very well connected hub that can expand its population and business community significantly.

If Euston Station throughput is crippled by HS2 planners for well over a decade, it would be handy if some trains could travel south to London from the North West without being delayed. Logistical strategies which include maximising value for money of investments made and thinking ahead to minimise disruption and delays as work proceeds...all things I would like to hear more of from Sir David Higgins and co.

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 02 April 2014 06:00 PM

iie62478

You really dont understand railay operation, there is a proposaltoterminate half teh LM trains into Crossrail toaleviateproblemswith Euston during the HS2 rebuild. The Chiltern lines are already running at near capacity so your idea of transfering trains onto them instead of building HS2 is a non starter.

If you want more details on CP5 check the new NR CP5 website, and look at proffesional railway journals.

Are we all in this together???
 02 April 2014 07:33 PM

jarathoon

Line capacity is not a simple concept I agree, especially for simpletons like me or let alone the many rail industry experts that aim to part the public from their money unnecessarily. The link you allude to is here

Control Period 5 plans

The line capacity on a line pair is set by the maximum number of trains per hour each way, the numbers of passenger carriages and seating count, balance between the number of fast slow trains, together with the passing point availability, the signalling system used, the occupancy of the train, driver and train logistics etc.

Fast train services can originate from further a field if train occupancy limits allow, which is what I was [implicitly] suggesting on the Chiltern Line. How the Aylesbury Branch Line is used to spread the commuter load once East-West Rail is finished would also be a factor.

I agree capacities are reaching their limit on all London commuter approaches, which is why HS2 doesn't solve the capacity problem for any of the non-Euston bound commuter lines into London.

After spending £50 billion on HS2, a lot more money will still be needed to cure capacity problems in and around the rest of London as well as commuter journeys into serveral other big cities.

In terms of using Crossrail to relieve Euston: the last time I went to a talk on HS2 there was not going to be the necessary platform capacity at Old Oak Common to allow the logistical manoeuvres you describe. However assuming HS2 goes ahead, and enough platform capacity is built at Old Oak Common before work is started on redeveloping Euston, we will then all ask ourselves; What justification remains for redeveloping Euston at great cost?

As Sir David Higgins has just realised (slower than most) - HS2 does not solve the main transport link problems in the North either: travelling quickly between the main northern cities to alleviate the congestion on the M56 and M62.

James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.