Increase font size
Topic Title: Electric Cars
Topic Summary: unseen dangers
Created On: 30 November 2013 01:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 November 2013 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kengreen

as a visually impaired person (v.i.p.) I monitor a Google-groups in which members post e-mails and everyone gets a copy (including the sender!)

There is great concern at the moment because totally blind persons, who rely on a guide dog, are having narrow squeaks because electric cars - with the i/c motor inoperative - are as far as they are concerned non-existent. Several have recounted that they narrowly escaped simply because their well-trained dog refused to obey the command to go forward! One person has reported an incident when all the visual aids indicated it was safe to cross but she was dragged back by an apologetic bystander.

This surely is a matter that should concern the IET? Perhaps the institution is already involved?

Ken Green
 31 December 2013 02:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dlane

The danger presented by a lack of noise from electric vehicles has been acknowledged for some time now.

Telegraph Article

I am not sure what involvement the IET has but there are systems out there to generate the noise of a car. A Halosonic unit has been fitted to a Prius and Lotus have also been working with the units.

Halosonic Website

Kind regards

Donald Lane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.