IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: E&T magazine - Debate - Formula 1 technology
Topic Summary: Does the relentless push for innovation in F1 have a positive effect on technology?
Created On: 22 May 2013 11:07 AM
Read the related E&T article
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 May 2013 11:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jpwilson

For
The relentless push for innovation in Formula 1 has a positive effect on the technology.

Against
The relentless push for innovation in Formula 1 has a negative effect on the technology.

The argument for
I believe there will be a point when innovation in F1 will again shift the dominant design and create real change. It is also interesting to note the role of F1 in developing technologies that spill over into other areas. McLaren has been working with Birmingham Children's Hospital to improve data monitoring of acute cases from the moment they are in the ambulance. Williams has developed an entire spin-out business from its work on energy recovery in F1, which develops systems for public transport as well as providing Audi and Porsche with systems used in endurance racing. Innovation may not always be obvious in F1, but rest assured it is always there.

The argument against
Managers often display a positive bias towards technological exploration, and they tend to believe in an ever-increasing positive relationship between innovation and performance gains. But when the continuous turbulence in the competitive environment makes it hard to foresee the benefits and risks of a future innovation, pushing to pioneer the next best thing might not always be the most profitable option. The understanding of innovation processes need deeper reflection, and by challenging the accepted assumptions we might discover the hidden value of exploitative processes such as imitation and adaptive innovation.
 05 June 2013 04:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kquinlan

Are you asking the correct question? I am almost certain that F1 and Endurance Racing advance the technology (from disc brakes in the 1950's, through aerodynamics in the 1970's to Energy Recovery systems today), but I am equally certain that advancing the technology does not necessarily advance the sport, which while it is called "Formula 1" these days, is supposed to be Formula 1 Motor Racing. Passing in the pits is not racing in my book.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.