Increase font size
Topic Title: 3 LANE ROADS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 May 2013 11:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 May 2013 11:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

acsinuk

Went down A303 and A361 and found that on several stretches the 3 way sections were incorrectly marked with double yellow lines were it was perfectly safe to overtake.
On the A303 section between S.Penderton/Watergore roundabout and A358 Horton Cross roundabout I had to follow a tractor and trailer at 30mph for 3 miles on a downhill section although I could see both lanes coming towards me were totally empty for a least a kilometer. If there had been a broken yellow line on my side then I and many of the cars I was delaying could have passed in complete safety.
The North Devon link A361 has a similar problem with incorrect illogical double yellow lines were there is clear visibility.
Please, please DofT issue a guidance note to the effect that on 3 lane roads were there is over 500 metres clear visibility have a dashed line on the single lane side, to allow overtaking of slow vehicles.
CliveS
 20 May 2013 01:29 PM

ectophile

I assume you mean double white lines (not yellow).

I rather suspect it was deliberate. It's almost impossible to prevent a situation where two people, travelling in opposite directions, decide to overtake at the same time - leading to a head-on collision at high speed.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 20 May 2013 01:34 PM

petersheppard

Please please DfT leave it exactly as it is!

There is nothing more dangerous on a three lane road where both directions have access to the middle lane.

It's patience that you require, not a broken WHITE line, oh and a colour blindness test :-)

Cheers

Peter

Peter Sheppard
Chair IET Transport Sector
Member Transport Policy Panel
 21 May 2013 10:13 AM

acsinuk

Thanks Alan
I drive in so many different countries; some with double white some with double yellow lines. My point is that on an ordinary 2 lane road with 1 lane in each direction, the use of a dashed line on your side means you can cross into the oncoming lane provided it is empty for a few hundred metres and safe to do so. So all that is needed is to extend this established thinking to 3 lane roads.
CliveS
 21 May 2013 10:23 AM

petersheppard

I knew exactly what you meant and I still maintain that having double white lines to prevent head on collisions in the "shared" lane is the safest option.

Maybe you have driven on many roads, but I have lived in Devon and if you saw the high number of fatalities that was on the North Devon Link Road due to head on collisions when it was originally structured as you suggest, you wouldn't want to continue the trend.

I get annoyed with the "nanny state" spoiling my fun on the roads with speed restrictions on what used to be derestricted area because a number of motorists are not seen as being considerate or careful.

However having double white lines on three lane roads wont stop some motorists overtaking (I see it regularly on the Devon Link Road and the link from the M5 to the A303 at Taunton, but it will make most motorists reluctant to cross it.

With around 3000 deaths a years on the roads we need to do everything we can to make them as safe as possible - even if your journey has to take a bit longer!

That's the biggest problem with drivers these days - a lack of patience!

Cheers

Peter

Peter Sheppard
Chair IET Transport Sector
Member Transport Policy Panel
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.