Topic Title: Audi engineered
Topic Summary: What happened
Created On: 11 April 2012 01:53 PM
Related E&T article: Taking Stock: Audi, engineered to succeed
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 April 2012 01:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

james0212

Nice to see the Germans doing well. I just wonder if any German engineering societies are singing the praises of British engineering.

We used to make cars, I remember a time when the "Observers book of cars" listed about 40 manufacturers of cars in Britain, with names like Alvis, Armstrong Syddeley, Bristol, Standard, Jowett.

There's obviously nothing wrong with the workers & engineers, because with foreign management and investment it is clearly going very well. Companies like Nissan, Honda, Ford, BMW, Volkswagen & Tata are happy with their investments in the UK.

The situation needs analysing because this is the key to any future success in the UK.

Edited: 17 April 2012 at 10:40 PM by james0212
 16 April 2012 04:52 PM

haguetim

I think we lost our locally owned automotive industry because of the following 3 reasons:-

Abysmal Management
Union Intransigence
Government interference

Anyone care to add anything else?
 16 April 2012 04:58 PM

StewartTaylor

Massive complacency

(and, I think, a failure of workers to realise that they were able to destroy a company- not surprising after so many years of being apparently powerless)

-------------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 16 April 2012 05:52 PM

jencam

Originally posted by: haguetim

I think we lost our locally owned automotive industry because of the following 3 reasons:-

Abysmal Management
Union Intransigence
Government interference

Anyone care to add anything else?

1. The mainstream media constantly giving bad press towards British manufacturing and the automotive industry.
2. Very poor manufacturing quality assurance. If it's got four wheels it goes!
3. Antiquated methods of production. Rootes was referred to in the late 1960s as a mediaeval blacksmith's workshop.
4. The BL merger. Rover and Triumph might have become very successful and respected marques if they weren't bogged down by the rubbish of BMC in the 1970s.
5. Michael Edwardes deciding that BL should focus on the mass market with cars like the Metro and Maestro rather than on the sports and executive car market.
6. The takeover of Rover by BMW. Rover wasn't doing too badly in the early 1990s with the partnership with Honda.
 17 April 2012 10:51 PM

james0212

I often comment that until we know what went wrong when the UK owned a lot of its manufacturing, it's a bit foolish to go in again.
Better stick with financial and other services, trash art seems to be going well, then I've heard Thomas the Tank Engine makes a billion per year.
There's a belief by the government that with lots of "cutting edge" technological innovation the UK will make more manufactured goods and create more jobs and growth.
Unless the managers and investors, workers and unions recognise what went wrong in the past and do something about it, then what's the point?
 18 April 2012 08:42 AM

jencam

Is it possible that the ability to run an engineering business effectively is down to genetics and these genes have somehow been almost completely lost from the British gene pool? I have been recently studying whether genetics are major contributors to poverty and crime.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.