Originally posted by: haguetim
I think we lost our locally owned automotive industry because of the following 3 reasons:-
Anyone care to add anything else?
1. The mainstream media constantly giving bad press towards British manufacturing and the automotive industry.
2. Very poor manufacturing quality assurance. If it's got four wheels it goes!
3. Antiquated methods of production. Rootes was referred to in the late 1960s as a mediaeval blacksmith's workshop.
4. The BL merger. Rover and Triumph might have become very successful and respected marques if they weren't bogged down by the rubbish of BMC in the 1970s.
5. Michael Edwardes deciding that BL should focus on the mass market with cars like the Metro and Maestro rather than on the sports and executive car market.
6. The takeover of Rover by BMW. Rover wasn't doing too badly in the early 1990s with the partnership with Honda.