IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: UK roadmap of speed limits
Topic Summary: Response to "Speed cameras out"
Created On: 14 September 2011 04:58 PM
Related E&T article: Speed cameras out, Big Brother in?
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 September 2011 04:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

snash

Whether or not it is a good thing to use Intelligent Speed Adaption (ISA) by on-board computer to improve compliance with speed limits is for a future debate, because we do not have a database of speed limits to apply!

I would like to have ISA by drivers. But this is sometimes difficult on unfamiliar roads with poor speed-limit signing, and none of us is a perfect driver.

I would love to have my satnav device give me a warning when I drift over the local speed limit, or I miss a sign that is behind a tree.
I would love my satnav to take speed limits into account when plotting routes.

All of these things are impossible until we have a down-loadable electronic roadmap of UK speed limits.

Since governments have not responded to the 2002 recommendation of the Transport Select Committee, alternative methods may be needed.
One way to achieve it would be for all of us to verify local speed limit data in the OpenStreetMap www.openstreetmap.org.

This does not absolve the driver from thinking, because the database is Open. But it could be a step in the right direction.

-------------------------
snash
 15 September 2011 10:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ABBASZAIDA

Nowadays in uk you have to take care of speed because of camers and speed limits but i think so there is no perfect device that will show you every camera becouse they havent got details of each camera on road and they are putting some new one on raod so you wont see it on road
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.