IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Intelligent Road Surfaces / Markings?
Topic Summary: Making Road Surfaces do more
Created On: 20 April 2011 07:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 April 2011 07:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

psadd

Hi, I've just joined the IET site so excuse me if there is already a topic out there on this but I could really use some considered feedback. I'm currently exploring whether or not road surfaces can be made to do more than they do at the moment..maybe through 'intelligent road markings' etc. I know there are schemes which employ, for instance, colour variants in cats-eyes to denote motorway lanes and junctions but these are 'physical' elements and I'm more interested in 'dynamic' solutions.

Can anyone point me at any research, companies etc. that are involved in this area? Does anyone have any thoughts and opinions on it? Is it an interesting area or should I just go and put my feet up and have a cup of tea?

I'd really appreciate some input on this.

Thanks for your time.

Paul
 21 April 2011 12:49 PM

ArthurHall

I remember years ago on tomorrows world (wish they would bring that programme back) There was an invention shown, It was a type of white paint that when applyed to the road looked three dimentional from certain distances. It was not approved by the department of transport
 23 April 2011 05:55 PM

psadd

Thanks Arthur....I'll follow that up if I can.
 15 June 2011 06:26 PM

MikeWrigley

In France, TPTB wanted something that would allow road markings to be still visible under a few mm of rain. Slots were cut in the circumference of the applicator wheel so that the paint would stand proud of the line and thus pierce the laye of water. In practice, it was found that this also has the benefit of making a loud noise whenever the vehicle strays over the line. The technique is now used for this reason more than the original one since it wakes up a slumbering driver on the open highway.

-------------------------
Mike Wrigley
Past Chairman, French Network
 16 July 2012 03:56 PM

witherp

Paul

Have you explored solar powered road studs?
There are several companys in the UK that produce solar powered road stubs. 10 years ago, I was involved in trialing of roads studs from Clearview Traffic Group and Reflecto.

Peter
 19 October 2012 11:31 AM

MAXMIRA

Paul,

If you are interested in reading an anti-thesis to road markings have a look online for a scandinavian city/town that decided to remove all road markings and traffic management systems. They found that with no 'guides' drivers were forced to pay more attention and road traffic accidents decreased dramatically.

Its a very interesting trial, although i'm sure the councils within the UK have a political agenda for not adopting this policy i.e. the local road maintenance budget would be slashed.

Dave
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.