IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help needed - electrical schematics for the APT?
Topic Summary: Can anyone help me find the electrical drawings for the prototype APT?
Created On: 03 April 2010 11:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 April 2010 11:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

z315870

Hi all,

I recently volunteered to assist with the preservation of the APT-P (prototype Advanced Passenger Train) which is an exhibit at the Crewe Heritage Centre.

There is some significant damage to several wiring looms and I would like to be able to fix this and use the original train wiring where possible to get the lighting and heating back up, as well as some of the other auxiliary systems (to start with).

I do not currently have a set of electrical schemes and if there is anyone out there who knows where I might lay my hands on such a thing, I would be very grateful! Also any background info, notes or sketches would be gratefully accepted. Is there a cupboard somewhere in Derby Carriage Works that is full of old, yellowing papers nobody recognises? Perhaps I should have gone snooping when I used to work there...but then that's not really my style. Current employees of Bombardier who know the document control system? Can you help? Or are they perhaps buried in the RTC somewhere (anyone from Atkins know about them?).

I will confess that I harbour a tacit ambition to get the whole thing back into working order and watch it embarrass a Pendolino on the main line, but that may take several years and a couple of Lottery wins. However, if people are able to raise £2 million to build from scratch a steam locomotive then maybe there is hope

-------------------------
Dr Joe Silmon PhD MEng CEng MIET
Committee Member, Railway TPN
 28 April 2010 09:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garethwood

Joe, didn't the APT design get manufactured and run down in Australia? At the early part of my apprenticeship in the 80's, I worked for a guy who was involved in the APT braking system. It could be that Knorr Bremse (now in Melksham) may still have some of the drawings scanned and archived. As Westinghouse Brakes they were always quite particular in keeping records of earlier equipment and vehicles. There is a good chance that they may have the diagrams, as the braking system would have relied on the brake wires running through the vehicles and autocouplers.

Just a thought.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.