Increase font size
Topic Title: High Speed Rail
Topic Summary: routes for future HS2 and HS3
Created On: 27 August 2009 07:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 August 2009 07:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ess1uk

any views on where HS2 should serve?
what route would work best?
what rolling stock should be used?
 25 January 2010 11:58 AM

2p0rk

The route will presumably be London > Birmingham > Manchester/Liverpool, and hopefully up to Edinburgh.

Stock-wise, its waaaaay too early to even think about that, but it'll be interesting to see if Bombardier try to get into the high speed game in the UK. Hitachi seem to be putting down roots, but the stock for HS1 was manufactured in Japan.
 23 March 2010 05:48 PM

buckspiccy

how high are the overhead power lines that HS2 will use? And what distance apart will they be ?
 27 March 2010 12:49 PM

ArthurHall

The power lines will be at the same hight so that standard stock can use the tracks. The only visiable difference will be the extra conductor for the AT system, this is mounted about a meter above the existing structures. A large part of the WCML already has the supports for the extra conductor fitted.
 03 April 2010 11:20 PM

z315870

I've listened to Andrew McNaughton talking about the proposed route a few times and I have to agree with him on the fairly prescriptive need for a single type of rolling stock, which will need to be the best high speed train money can buy at the time. No heavy freight for HS2 (but what about inter-running high speed light freight in the vein of the TGV Poste services?) but the capacity cleared by not needing so many Pendolinos on the WCML will mean more space for traditional freight trains so everybody wins.

Clearly the population of the Chilterns are not particularly impressed but it's a choice between one new railway or two new motorways (to meet the projected demand for transport), so I guess they just need to do the maths.

I really like the choice of Birmingham International as a staging point for the journey further north via Trent Valley. When I have to fly with work I try to choose Birmingham for convenience, but being only just over an hour from London by Pendolino, less by HS, you can see that it will become an alternative to London airports for those living in the South East, hopefully relieving pressure on Heathrow with all those awful circling queues of aircraft spewing CO2 everywhere.

I notice that several critics have missed the point when they lambaste HS2 for not saving carbon. There is a very pragmatic view by HS2 that this is primarily not about saving carbon but rather about meeting future capacity needs in the least damaging way. So nobody really expects HS2 to blow the domestic air market out of the water, but then the domestic air market is pretty small. What it should do is take executives off the road in their BMWs and get them into a railway carriage instead, which can't be bad.

Let's just hope that somehow, the money can be found to press on with this, despite the cutbacks that we all know are going to hit...

-------------------------
Dr Joe Silmon PhD MEng CEng MIET
Committee Member, Railway TPN
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.