IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Air Traffic Control Engineer career?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 March 2009 08:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 March 2009 08:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

bob3656

Hi all, I'd like some career advice please.
My background is in electronic engineering and I hold a BEng(Hons) in Electronic Engineering (although not with spectacular grades). I have been employed as a Test/Comissioning engineer for a small company making data acquisition equipment for about 8 years.
While I have learnt a great deal in my time, the work I have done has never really felt like a long term career with no real progression (small company), and unfortunately due to the credit crunch I am about to be made redundant.
Over the past few years, I have been more focussed on other areas in my life, getting married, buying doing up a house and havent really been thinking of a long term career just earning cash!
I have been considering applying to the IET Engineering Technican scheme at NATS (National Air Traffic Control) to train up as an Air Traffic Control Engineer as it looks like it may offer me a technically challenging role with plenty of scope for development.
I meet all the criteria, but am concerned at 30 I may be too old
 06 March 2009 12:18 PM

westonpa

In 40 years time you will be, for that particular career/job, so you had better do it now whilst you are still young.

You mention your degree and then the not so spectacular grades which suggests you are thinking/talking yourself down a bit.....you could also look at it that you have a high level qualification that 5.98 billion other people do not have and most people never have had.

I was 'too old' for many things about 30 years ago but I am still doing them. Regards.
 06 March 2009 01:08 PM

bob3656

I personally dont think at 30 I will be too old, the training only lasts 18 months so I'll be like 32 when I am fully qualiifed. So I am going to go for it anyway!

Does anyone have any advice they can give me about the job?
I have contacted NATS with a few questions but have not had any reply.
I am mainly concerned with any travel element of the job. There are many NATS sites around the UK.
Obviously I dont mind being away from home for short periods eg a few days once a month but I cant really afford to be away from home for months on end as unlike 21 year old graduates I have other commitments
 24 March 2009 02:43 PM

alankee99

Hi Bob, did you consider the RAF ?
I have recently been laid off and would love to join the RAF, but at 41 I have no chance.
Best of luck
 20 July 2011 03:22 PM

paulstrick

Liverpool Airport is now looking for an Air Traffic Engineer
http://www.liverpoolairport.co...-traffic-engineer.html
 28 July 2011 12:39 PM

paulstrick

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.