IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Voltage Optomizers on Renewable systems
Topic Summary: Can voltage optomizers be used on a system where a site exports to the grid
Created On: 19 March 2014 04:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 March 2014 04:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

944SE

Can someone in the know comment on the suitability of using a voltage optimizer on a site where there is the possibility of exporting power. The G59/3 regulation now recognises the existence of these devices. In para7.7 it now lays out the requirement that the monitoring voltage for the G59 Relay must emanate from the main supply not the 'corrected' voltage. I assume from that para that they expect such systems to exist.
944se
 19 March 2014 04:16 PM

Zuiko

Talk to your local DNO depot; they will tell you what they require.
 19 March 2014 11:11 PM

statter

I think what you say is correct as with a VO the installation voltage is controlled by the VO and is different to the incoming voltage. The G59 protection must sense on the incoming supply not the VO one.

As to whether its a good idea this will depend on the technologies, relative sizes of the site demand and the generation and the gen technology. I would be concerned about the potential for interaction between e.g. a PV inverter and e.g. a solid state (non t/f) VO. Can't say I've ever seen this done but my gut says there could be problems especially if the incoming supply is 'weak' compared to generator.
 20 March 2014 11:36 AM

ectophile

It makes sense for the generator to be connected on the supply side of the voltage optimiser. Assuming the optimiser is a variable transformer of some kind, and it's normally acting as a step-down transformer, then it will act as a step-up transformer when being back-fed.

This runs the risk of the incoming supply being driven substantially over voltage without the protection system on the inverter ever seeing it and shutting down like it's supposed to.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.