For those of you who like to read delusional nonsense the TUC and the Carbon Capture and Storage Association have released a new report...
"The economic benefits of carbon capture and storage in the UK"
In order to show how CCS can save consumers money they have to start all their electricity unit cost senarios (on page 5) at a wholesale price of £92.50 per MWh in 2020.
They fail to point out that electricty prices will have more than doubled this decade to reach this level. They don't point out the massive increase in waste heat dumped into the environment and the consequence of this.
The TUC always seem to talk as if government subsidies are the only good way of creating new jobs in the economy.
The three main political parties want to confine the General Election campaign to talking about whether or not people earning over £150,000 or so should pay 45p in the pound tax or 50p in the pound tax. This will make a difference to government income on the order of £1 billion or less per year. Its like spitting in the ocean with the aim of reducing its salinity.
At the next GeneraI I want to talk about:
- Axing Electricity and other energy subsidy schemes (hundreds of billions)
- Axing Trident Renewal (a hundred billion or so)
- A complete redesign of HS2 (anywhere betwen £50 billion and £100 billion)
- Slashing generous Government Pensions gradually eating into a higher and higher proportion of government spending.
- Slash the size of useless bloated central government departments (e.g. DECC)
- Reducing the UK debt by hundreds of billions over the next two decades
- Reducing UK income tax and NI by hundreds of billions over the next two decades
Rather than have our entire political class dancing together on the head of a pin with the TUC lets have some radical programmes for change please.