IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Engineers diverted from emergency repairs to help David Cameron watch TV after his fuse box goes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 January 2014 10:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 January 2014 10:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

"Two Scottish and Southern Energy Power Distribution engineers, part of an emergency repair team, were trying to restore power to 11,000 homes in Oxfordshire when they were called out 17-miles to the PM's £2m house in Chipping Norton - only to find it was just a tripped fuse."

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...box-goes-9088320.html

I was staying with my sister a few years ago (at Christmas) and a female student from a house up the road came up to my sister and I to ask what they should do because all their electrical applicances had stopped working. I told them to check their fuse box - they did and tried reset the main fuse but it tripped out straight away - so they came back out to ask for more advice thinking they weren't going to get a Christmas dinner that year.

I am not sure what a qualified electrican would advise at this stage, but I told them to switch off all their appliances, and then to try and re-engage the fuse again. If it re-engaged then to switch on the appliances one by one until they find the one that has failed.

They came back a few minites later to say their kettle had boiled dry...

How many members of the UK government would fail the Christmas fuse intelligence test?

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 27 January 2014 11:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zuiko

Fuses don't trip, they blow.

I used to work for a DNO, and such call-outs were are extremely common. The call centre do try their best to talk the customer through where to check, but sometimes the home-owner just does not know where to look, or is not comfortable or confident with electrics. So, it is not just the PM that DNOs respond to!

And take the story with a pinch of salt - the two engineers may well have been (and probably were) the LV rapid-response; rather than the team getting the HV network back together.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.