IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Unstable Voltage level at client premises..
Topic Summary: Problem with grid tied pv system at client premises
Created On: 25 November 2013 06:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 November 2013 06:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

engineer29

I have a client who has already installed a grid tied system at his premises and despite initial test performed by supply company, his voltage is currently too low to match the grid tie specification. Hence, the calibrated inverter does switch on and off multiple times a day depending on the voltage level and eventually, the client is not able to produce the amount of kwh expected. Can anyone propose a solution that we can undertake at the client? I have already thought about a voltage stabilizer but t i don't think stabilizers work in a bi directional way.
 25 November 2013 08:09 AM

JonathanHill

Sounds like the voltage may be having excursions below statutory limits (at LV these are +10%/ -6%), in which case the local DNO should be advised so they can take appropriate action.

-------------------------
Jonno
 25 November 2013 02:23 PM

OMS

Too low or too high ? - it would have to be pretty low to make the invertor drop out

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
 25 November 2013 02:59 PM

engineer29

@ Jonathan Hill

Yep this is indeed the case. What i want to know if there is some other solution that would not require the local DNO? The client are grumpy because as a PV installer, they paid us for this installation and are awaiting to get their system alive and kicking....
 25 November 2013 03:01 PM

engineer29

@OMS
It is too low in most of the cases we had and in one case it is too high..sometimes it gets pretty low, as low as 208V in one case ( i am in a 230/400 system)..
 25 November 2013 09:23 PM

statter

if you're in the UK lower statutory limit is 216V so 208V would be below this. Contact the DNO and get them to put it right. If you do something (e.g. transformer( then your client may well have other problems if the DNO gets on top of things so I really think you or your client needs to get the DNO to resolve the problem.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.