Increase font size
Topic Title: Power Factor Demo
Topic Summary: Basic power factor correction demo
Created On: 08 November 2013 10:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 November 2013 10:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lovinasdad

hello, this is the first time I've ever used a forum so please stick with me.

i'm building a power factor correction demo for a undergrad project. i'm starting off with a schematic drawing using multisim and basically I have a pretty good idea of where i'm going with this.

I don't however have a motor to test for the induction and resistance of the windings. so this is setting me back in even getting started. I was thinking of using a 1.5Kw single phase 2 pole motor. I also have a capacitor bank of 140mF.

as i'm a undergrad this is pretty new to me but I have worked in electrical industry for around 7 years.

as a basic over view of project.

AC in fuse, contactor, overload (capacitor bank switch in somehow still working on this) lead then to motor.

then a control side for the contactor with a push start and emergency stop.

this is to be contained in a metal cab.

I will then have a display to show power factor with it improving as the capacitors are switched in.

i'm sorry if this is vague but as I say writing and theory is pretty new to me. i'm better with tools then ink.

thanks I will keep everyone who follows this post up to date.
 09 November 2013 01:12 PM

dlane

Hi,

There are a number of books and data sheets out on the web that will provide you with details to work with.

Try and obtain a book called The Handbook of Electric Power Calculations published by McGraw Hill. That has a whole chapter on calculating equivalent circuits for single phase motors.

There is also a paper from the ICADME 2009 called Parameters Calculation of a 5HP AC Induction Motor which will be worth a read.

With regard to practicalities capacitors can be switched in or out of circuit using appropriate contactors. Generally we would also install discharge resistors across the capacitors for safety purposes. These resistors would need to be rated for the voltage of the system and power for the discharge current.

Good luck with your project
 09 November 2013 07:31 PM

cookers

You might include something on why you would wish to do power factor correction.
 12 November 2013 03:44 PM

lovinasdad

hi, thanks for that i'll look into it.
IET » Energy » Power Factor Demo

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.