Increase font size
Topic Title: 11kv overhead lines question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 October 2013 06:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 October 2013 06:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chunkylumber

Hello

I'm a student doing a little project on 11kv overhead lines. Does anyone have any idea of what 11kv overhead conductors are used by distribution network operators (DNOs) in the UK please?

I am told that nowadays most new lines that go up are BLX, hard drawn copper has been used for years but under what circumstances is it used now?

Also I'm a little confused as to the extent aluminium conductors are used at 11kv. I understand that there are various types such as AAAC, ACAR, ACSR and AAC (a confusing array of acronyms!) but I've read conflicting articles on what level of voltage these are used - some would suggest only 33kv and above.

There's also stranded steel conductors but I think this is transmission voltage territory, am I correct? Have I missed anything out? Any help gladly received!

Thanks
 07 December 2013 12:06 PM

ArthurHall

Steel conductors were used at 11KV at one time as the cost was low I will be supprised if any are still in use.
Copper was the most common conductor until the price went through the roof in the early seventies. After that steel cored aluminium was used even though it caused problems with bi-metal joints, 50mm SCA was the standard conductor for many years. As the conductor tension was higher than copper longer spans could be used.
I havent worked on 11KV lines for a while and I understand new conductors are being used which have to be pulled up to a very high tension left for an hour then the tension is backed off slightly.
 11 December 2013 02:18 PM

statter

Have a look at the DNO websites under specifications e.g. http://www.eon-uk.com/download...work_design_manual.pdf for the current position.
 11 December 2013 08:24 PM

Snips

Hello,
WPD's new spec is to use AAAC (All Aluminium Alloy Conductor) before that it was ACSR (Aluminium Conductor Steel Reinforced) . AAAC would be used for 11kV and 33kV. Copper is not used at all.

Hope this helps.
 16 December 2013 01:05 PM

Innotect

yeas your idea is right.i am agree to your comment.
 31 December 2013 11:27 PM

neilmcd84

New build lines are exclusively aluminium here. The standard is 50mm^2, with heavier construction available at 100mm^2 and 150mm^2 if required - usually to tie in with larger cables in the 'ring' to avoid de-rating the circuit. However everything gets bigger along with the wires...eg 100mm^2 and 150mm^2 have to be terminated on 'H' poles, with associated cost increases and difficulties gaining permission from landowners for the new poles.
Repairs, short diversions etc tend to be 'like for like', so any old copper would be replaced with new copper. I have upgraded a few lines from single to three phase, and it looks really weird with the outside green conductors, with shiny new orange/gold in the middle.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.