Increase font size
Topic Title: Unidentified device on 11Kv pole
Topic Summary: Unidentified device on 11Kv pole
Created On: 11 October 2013 08:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 October 2013 08:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Duncan

I spend a lot of free time walking in the countryside, mainly around the East Yorkshire Wolds. Inevitably I come across a variety of power distribution poles and I've noted some poles have a device bolted to the pole that doesn't appear to have any electrical function (there are no cables going to the unit).

My guess is it is some form of environmental monitor; a chemical-based system that collects samples of the surrounding atmosphere but this is pure conjecture on my part.

I would imagine that a 11Kv pole is a very safe place to install such a device as all but the most idiotic of vandals will stay well away!

Can anyone identify what this device is actually for?

Links to photos below:

11Kv pole with unkonwn device

Close-up of unknown device
 11 October 2013 08:23 PM

slittle

It's a fault locator. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can explain the technology behind them.

Stu
 11 October 2013 10:56 PM

Zuiko

IT could well be a fault locator, but I have not seen one that looks like that.

The are usually installed on multi teed circuits - it is a coil that responds to the large magnetic field created by fault currents.

By installing the locators at selected places (say, at the poles either side of a tee) you can quickly see what direction the fault current came from- and just as importantly, where it didn't come from. This saves time wandering for miles down the route of the wrong line looking for the fault.
 12 October 2013 11:41 AM

alancapon

It is a "Pathfinder 360" Fault Passage Indicator manufactured by Bowden Brothers Ltd. It is battery operated with a long-life battery and senses disturbances that occur in the magnetic field round the overhead lines during a fault. The base will flash with a bright white light when a fault is registered and usually reset after a period of time. As Zuiko says, in the event of a fault, by examining which locators are indicating, it is possible to narrow down the fault location on the line.

Regards,

Alan.
 12 October 2013 12:18 PM

Duncan

Thanks eveyone for replying - that clears that mystery up!

I'm strictly 'small wires', working mainly with PLC's and BMS systems and have never worked with HV. 400VAC is more than high enough for me!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.