Increase font size
Topic Title: New Position
Topic Summary: Working towards being a SAP
Created On: 10 October 2013 09:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 October 2013 09:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wliptrot

I am about to start a new position as a Senior Electrical Engineer for my existing employer and it is envisaged that I will work towards and become the Senior Authorised Person for the site.

I have heard the C&G 6037 may be a good starting point. Does anybody have suitable experience in this area to share or can make suggestions on reading material etc.

I have got a copy of BS EN 50110-1:2004, and other internal work procedures, but I would like some pointers from experienced HV SAP/AP on the best way to approach the first few months.

Thanks,

Wayne.
 10 October 2013 10:41 PM

Zuiko

The "bible" for you will be the Model Distribution Safety Rules which you can download from the internet.

These rules are the "minimum" standards, and your company will no doubt go beyond these rules. These will appear as appendicies or amendments to the rules.

The rules will tell you what the responsibilities of an SAP are, generally in the form of what "you SHALL do" in certain circumstances. The SAP will be issuing and cancelling safety documents, so what you SHALL do in these instances, and what your responsibilities are, is most important to understand.

The best way to learn is working beside an SAP for a while.
 10 October 2013 10:52 PM

wliptrot

The existing SAP will be around to offer advice, but I want to get up to speed quickly, if possible. Switching action is quite infrequent, so I need to learn outside of the practical experiences, to get the most out of them.

Thanks for the Model Rules, I'll check them.
 11 October 2013 12:24 AM

JonathanHill

It's important that you feel comfortable in acting as an SAP. General requirements of you are that you have adequate knowledge, skill and training so that you can perform your duties in preventing danger from the system (creating and controlling safe systems of work).

For training, I can recommend the Faraday Centre (located in the North East) which we use as part of our SAP training. They offer a comprehensive end of course evaluation where they include feedback and identify areas for development which your employer should support.

I'm also aware that Scottish Power offer a course which includes a C&G qualification (the only one I know about). It's more expensive than Faraday Centre.

There are other training providers, including some that offer to do the training at your works (see ads at the back of Electrical Review (available on-line)).

-------------------------
Jonno
IET » Energy » New Position

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.