Increase font size
Topic Title: Rating of fuses / cables
Topic Summary: Rating of fuses / cables
Created On: 26 September 2013 05:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 September 2013 05:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nickstick

When sizing a fuse, there are various derating factors that should be taken into account, ambient temperature, frequency, altitude etc etc.

The cable current rating taken from the IEC standards must be greater than or equal to the nominal current of the fuse. But do you take the derating factors into account when sizing a cable? To put it another way, is In always the value printed on the side of a fuse, or is it In x derating factors.

For a hypothetical example, a 200A fuse is installed in a hot ambient, at altitude carrying high frequency harmonics. So the max rms current for the fuse is derated to 160A.

So is the cable rated at 200A or 160A? My feeling is that the cable should be rated at the 200A, but I need to be able to back up my position.

Thanks
Nick
 26 September 2013 07:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zuiko

Of course,

If your current carrying capability is derated by 20% because of the environment; you cannot chose a smaller cable, because the smaller cable would be derated, and you would end up compounding the problem!

When you are derating a cable, you end up with a bigger cable not a smaller one!
IET » Energy » Rating of fuses / cables

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.