Increase font size
Topic Title: Peaker or Baseload... hmmm
Topic Summary: Power generation asset profile conundrum
Created On: 21 September 2013 11:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 September 2013 11:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

midean777

Hi all, I have a list of a great deal of power generation assets in the world, including nameplate/ actual capacity, fuel type, turbine type.

I wanted to split these into peakers and baseload plants, does anyone know what clues I should look for to determine its general usage? Is it as simple as using capacity ranges? ie 0-200 peaker, 200+ baseload?

Thanks and I hope this finds you all well!

Mark
 21 September 2013 01:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dlane

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Capacity will be one of the factors in a power station's operating regime.

The main factor will be technology type and then it comes down to location, commercial factors and the type of technology mixture that forms the generating capacity of the country the station is in. This will be different from country to country.

In the UK you will have nuclear stations that will be baseloading stations. Coal stations, biomass and mixed fuel will generally also be baseloading, some of the smaller stations will operate in spinning reserve so will be synchronised generating at a lower capacity and will ramp up to a base or peakload as required.

Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT) plants currently operate in the Balancing Mechanism so start and stop daily based upon their commercial viability. Their runs may be 10 to 12 hours or they may pickup shorter 4 to 6 hour runs at specific times of the day.

Open Cycle Gas Turbine (OCGT), oil fired and diesel will be the peak lopping units usually operating in the Short Term Operating Reserve (STOR) market run by the National Grid. These will be short runs, typically 2 hours in length and have most of their activity over the winter months.

Hydro stations can be used as a mixture of BM activity and peak lopping, they are the fastest to synchronise and load up, but they too are a commercial operation and may run at a reduced load over an extended period if the prices are right for them.

Geothermal stations in foreign countries are generally used for baseloading or spinning reserve.

The situation is complicated by wind and solar whose output is sparodic, but will be exported onto the Grid in preference to other forms of generation.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.