Increase font size
Topic Title: Lib dems please note
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 September 2013 09:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 September 2013 09:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jcm256

20 September 2013 11:16 AM

westonpa

Once again government ministers mess up and burden the public with bills which will be higher than neccessary because of their errors. Yet the relevant ministers will still likely get, or already have, their Lordships or highly paid jobs with companies related to the areas of their mistakes. It will be the usual rewards for poor performance and lack of accountability.

As for Germany and with regards to Nuclear they just implemented a knee jerk reaction to Japan and without thinking it through......not really good governence. The German economy is not going to stay strong forever and they are already losing ground in some areas now all the cheap money to the poorer countries has dried up.

Regards.
 20 September 2013 01:38 PM

Ipayyoursalary

I don't blame ministers - who are generally a bunch of overgrown schoolboys and PPE graduates who haven't done a day's work in their lives and wouldn't know a kilowatt hour from a kilogramme. No, I blame their engineering advisors; The people who should have known better (and who I suspect did know better) but chose to go along with the scam instead of providing sensible criticism and sane policy advice. Step forward the guilty men and their shameful output. . Oh for a UK version of Tony Abbott to clean out our Aeugean stables!
 20 September 2013 02:46 PM

jarathoon

I have complained about these rotten offshore transmission company (OFTO) deals before, months ago, in these forums.

DECC is to blame for all this.

All three main political parties are culpable in this respect. Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband created the DECC monster in the first place. It was the permanent secretary the Labour government originally appointed who arranged all this OFTO nonsense remember, before she left for pastures new.

DECC went rogue almost as soon as it was created. Now under a Treasury leash, DECC still remains out of control. The Treasury have tried to get a grip of DECC, but it is clear this hasn't worked. In terms of subsidies and wasted public money "you haven't seen nothing yet", and this is why DECC will not survive as an organisation much past the next general election.

The solar subsidies, the introduction of the green deal; everything DECC does seems to be designed to kill off and discourage SME's and community energy initiatives whilst at the same time subsidising and protecting the laziest and most risk adverse rent seeking business models of the large corporates.

The Green Deal is failing as predicted because the interest rates on loans are too high (a exceptionally good deal for the banks and financiers no doubt), together with the fact that people are too uncertain about the way fuel prices may change into the future.

Labour have always enthusiastically supported the Energy Bill currently going though parliament, because they partly devised and wrote it, and this is a large part of the problem.

Parliament needs a strong opposition to have any chance of working properly. There is no substantial platform in parliament for the critical voices on Energy policy at the moment. (All this will change at some point in the future as ever more grossly inflated energy bill's land on peoples door steps; we just can't predict when).

None of the leading Tories, Lib Dems or Labourites (who aren't being paid a salary or getting campaign donations from the Energy Industry) has the slightest clue what they are doing to this country.

Tories, Labour and Lib Dems please more than just note this.

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 20 September 2013 08:50 PM

jarathoon

The next round of energy price rises are about to start, straight after all the party political conferences.

British Gas to raise bills by £100 to record levels

"Britain's biggest energy giant British Gas is planning to hit millions of customers with price increases of £100 or up to 8 per cent, taking household energy bills to record levels just as temperatures begin to fall."

James Arathoon
 20 September 2013 09:41 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: Ipayyoursalary
No, I blame their engineering advisors; The people who should have known better (and who I suspect did know better) but chose to go along with the scam instead of providing sensible criticism and sane policy advice. Step forward the guilty men and their shameful output.

Quite a number of CEng on that list!!

Regards.
 20 September 2013 10:06 PM

westonpa

You paint a bleak picture James.

Regards.
 20 September 2013 11:05 PM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: westonpa

You paint a bleak picture James.

Regards.

I have not always been a painter of bleak pictures.

When I studied art O Level art as a teenager I always used to paint in ridiculously vivid colours, almost as if I was recording how nature used to shout out at me to gain my attention.

James Arathoon
 21 September 2013 02:58 PM

westonpa

It's funny how knoweldge about other people's failings changes the pictures we paint!

Regards.
IET » Energy » Lib dems please note

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.