Increase font size
Topic Title: 11kV Generator and G59-2
Topic Summary: Typical Connections
Created On: 14 September 2013 02:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 September 2013 02:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

neilparsons

Can anybody point me in the direction of a typical diagram which shows details of the protection requirements for an 11kV generator which will be run in parallel with a privately owned 11kV network? I'm interested in the G59-2 element.
 16 September 2013 11:55 AM

944SE

I assume you have a 110 or 100 volt instrument TX and depending on whether there is a neutral will dictate the connections for the G59 Relay. Also depends on which relay you are using. You basically need to pick up the phase /phase or Phase/ neutral values from the mains, which is what the Relay monitors. You will need to decide what happens after a G59 event and decide which breaker to trip, whether you have an auto reset or if you would require someone to investigate what has occurred. I assume you are talking about long term parallel operation and rotating plant. You also need to discuss with your DNO if the private network connects to the Grid at any point
You could PM me if you want to discuss.
944SE
 16 September 2013 12:57 PM

neilparsons

Thank you for the reply 944SE,

It would indeed be long term parallel operation and rotating plant, the site is also connected to the grid so there will be DNO involvement.

Is there normally any preference as to which circuit breaker should be tripped if there is a G59 event, the breaker local to the generator or the breaker at the 11kV intake, or is this down to the particular requirements of the DNO and the practicalities of the project?
 16 September 2013 05:31 PM

944SE

Neil, its normally your choice depending on operational issues. e.g if there was a CHP system where a process depended on steam you would choose to keep the CHP going and trip the Mains. The important issue is the separation
regards 944SE
 16 September 2013 09:58 PM

alancapon

You also need to consider how your generator will behave. If studies show that it will not be able to "throttle back" fast enough following a trip of the grid incomer, you may find it easier to trip the generator CB and use the grid supplies for the lube pumps and barring motors that you may need to shut the generator down safely. If you are lucky, you may be able to keep the set spinning and resynchronise to the grid fairly rapidly.

Regards,

Alan.
IET » Energy » 11kV Generator and G59-2

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.