IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ITER Fusion Reactor Engineering and Molten Salt Reactor Engineering Compared
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 August 2013 10:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 August 2013 10:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

Here is the organisation chart for ITER fusion project

http://www.iterrf.ru/dlya_zagr...nizat_2FQ5YR_v3_9.pdf

£13 billion plus in funding, plus a multi-million pound budget at Culham.

Here is the organisation chart for Molten Salt Reactor Engineering Programme in the UK

Well it's not really a chart it's just little old me at the moment whingeing away, with no money, creditors at the door, a small library on physics and engineering (a few hundred books), a car I can no longer afford to run and some computers.

If you were a member of the public and had to decide now where to invest your tax money for a return on investment starting by 2040; would you invest your money to fund a Molten Salt Reactor Engineering Programme currently supported in its extreme infancy at the moment by one or two helpful volunteers or instead to fund a next generation DEMO style commercial Fusion reactor design, following on after more than £13 billion of state funding on ITER etc, and all the talented people now employed above.

Both are high risk investment strategies, but where on balance would you put your tax money, if you had a choice how to spend it?

the Molten Salt Reactor or the DEMO fusion reactor?

(If you would like to fund the Molten Salt Reactor Programme but are slightly disconcerted by the thought of nuclear secrets being known by someone of mixed race (with Pakistani, Indian, Iranian, English, German and Scottish heritage) you can always let it be known by whispering in the right ear that you would prefer an insipid and less socially abrasive pure white male groupthinker instead of me.

Even though I was born in England, it still infuriates that nothing can be done in this country until you find the right person, in the right power network, and then whisper your idea in their ear, so another person in the same power network can pretend to have come up with the idea themselves.

If you don't do this the only alternative seems to be to campaign for many years as a social leper.

Well even though I know all this, I still believe campaigning as a social leper for many years, is much preferable in this case to surfly searching out the right lordly ear to whisper in)

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 09 August 2013 10:30 AM

acsinuk

James
Take a look at Wikipedia article on Polywell. These ITER people need to be innovative enough to build and modifying as they go along. This project is well worth funding. However, the hadron collider at CERN should be run down slowly now and interested engineers transferred to ITER. That's my view anyway!
CliveS
 09 August 2013 11:50 AM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: acsinuk

James

Take a look at Wikipedia article on Polywell. These ITER people need to be innovative enough to build and modifying as they go along. This project is well worth funding. However, the hadron collider at CERN should be run down slowly now and interested engineers transferred to ITER. That's my view anyway!

CliveS

I asked Culham about the Polywell device a few months ago to see if they had assigned any of their budget to verify or falisify the claims made for it.

They hadn't.

As I pointed out before fusion research in the UK is not currently being run by engineers who want to find cheapest ways of generating fusion energy or indeed neutron beams. The ITER seems to be heading in much the same way. If I was running Culham I would have tried to see if the polywell device worked as claimed with utmost and top priority long ago.

I am not running Culham so all I can do is whinge so that the physicists in charge can distainfully ignore me.

Try emailing Culham or ITER and ask is they've even thought about asking some undergraduate engineering students on zero pay contracts to investigate the claims for the polywell device as part of their final year projects.

-------------------------
James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.