IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Review of Serco's influence over the future of Fourth Generation Nuclear Reactor Development in the UK
Topic Summary: NNL should be run by a consortium of Nuclear SME Independent's
Created On: 27 July 2013 03:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 July 2013 03:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

In reviewing what Serco runs in regards to science and measurement in the uk you can view their web page.

http://www.serco.com/markets/science/index.asp

In terms of National Science they operate or manage:
- National Physical Laboratory (NPL)
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) (along Lockheed Martin and Jacobs)
- National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) (along with Manchester University and Battelle)

According to the website
"Serco also provides infrastructure and ICT support services to the Defence, Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)."

Now in order for a consortium of SME's to develop molten salt reactors in the UK negociating and sharing intellectual property with Serco and other large corporations is starting to become a very big deal indeed.

I think to counter this trend the National Nuclear Labs should be managed by a consortium of Nuclear SME Independent 's instead, so the big companies like Serco and EDF have to start sharing their intellectual property with SME consortia, as well as just the other way around. Also why should Manchester University be given a stronger role in fourth generation nuclear development than say the Universities of Oxford, Bristol or Nottingham.

I propose that the management of the NNL is taken out of the hands of Serco, Battelle and Manchester University at the earliest opportunity, which I think is next year (2014), and handed over to a consortium of Nuclear SME Independent 's.

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.