Increase font size
Topic Title: Legislation for a transformer
Topic Summary: 11kV-690V transformer
Created On: 17 July 2013 08:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 July 2013 08:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

adamtaylor

Hi,
We have just purchased an ABB 11kV-690V transformer for a 1.2MW motor drive. Unfortunately, i am now in a predicament and now playing middle man between installation contractor and supplier.
The transformer got delivered to site the other week, where the installation contractor inspected the item and had many concerns about the item. They are the following:
-No warning transformer voltage labels on the front of the transformer front.
-No barriers between the 11,000V terminals/bus bars and the low voltage terminals/bus bars
-No fixing holes on the secondary bus bars
Also the 1.2MW drive is run by an ABB VSD, which he also has problems with:
-The inverter incoming gland plate is Ferro-magnetic and not suitable for single core cables
-The inverter incoming ACB connection is not punched for standard 4 hole cable connection lugs

After showing these concerns to ABB, they have stated that they have manufactured many of the transformers and no body has had any problems with the installations before. They have also said they are manufactured to European standards and that it is CE marked.
The installation contractor believes that it is not to British Standard, due to the arrangement of no barrier between the high voltage and low voltage of the transformer.

Any advice given will be much appreciated?

Kind regards

-------------------------
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
 19 July 2013 04:12 PM

cookers

I think you know by now that its usually a good idea to sort out the cable sizes, types and connection arrangements before you order.

My guess is the contractor would solve these "problems" if you paid him extra.
 25 July 2013 11:28 AM

acsinuk

Adam
The transformer should comply with IEC 76 or EN60076 which means it will definitely need a durable rating label. Creepage and clearances of terminations will be covered in the specification and must be in place for the impulse type testing; but who will supply them may be a contractual issue.
CliveS
 26 July 2013 03:35 PM

aburgar

ive just finished installing 5 off drives to this specification. I didnt use ABB transformers. The transformers had Lv and HV connections in different terminal boxes, so this wasnt an issue. We wouldnt use single core cables to connect to the VSDs because of emc compliance anyway so gland plates weent a problem. Our biggest concern was interlocking the incoming connections for main power on the ACB with the HT isolation to comply with our local HT rules.

Sorry this might not be to helpfull, but this is our experience. the VSds were bottom entry incoming and top exit for the motor connections with the extra connection cubicle.

The installers did use some intersting language with connecting multiple three core cables to the terminations, but they got there in the end.

My contractors were kind enough to advise me before hand to double check the transformer connections and incoming temrinal connections.
The connection between VSD and motors were in ABB project's supply.

Andrew Burgar BSc CEng MIET
 26 July 2013 03:59 PM

aburgar

Adam,

Ive just had a look round other posts you have sent, I note you have jointed an 11KV cable in Sheffield. I currently work for a steel producer in Rotherham, so if you wish we may be able to have a discussion without comprising our companies interests.

Andrew Burgar BSc CEng MIET
 03 August 2013 05:56 PM

adamtaylor

Outcome:
After discussing with the supplier and the installation contractor, the installation contractor will now be rectifying the problems.

Thanks for your help.

Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.