IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: leaving automatic PFC connected when running on back-up Generators
Topic Summary: is it worth time and money to install controls to drop out existing PFC equipment or just leave it in place?
Created On: 06 May 2013 09:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 May 2013 09:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

emmanuel

The need to avoid/ prevent a leading PF is well understood and accepted, as is the fact that you do not "need" correction when on generator.

But what about when you have an automatic incremental PFC system in place - and you then install backup generation; should we spend time and money (and often incur system down time while implementing the control) to ensure we inhibit or drop out the PFC?

As it is automatic, it will never drive the PF into leading, potential faults with PFC units (in my experience) normally result in banks not coming in, and a worse PF, not the other way around where they come in and over correct the system.

So are there other reasons why we should want to spend the extra time and money and disruption, and not just leave the automatic PFC to do it's job?

Would be interested in others experience or thoughts on this?
 12 May 2013 11:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

emmanuel

quite keen on others experiences with this one, the only other reference I came across was short write up: fgwilson.ie/assets/files/technical_papers/generator-set-power-factor-capacitors.pdf but it still seems most err on the side of "caution" and the standard is to drop the PFC out - but to me that does not seem to make the most sense in the situation I described

Edited: 12 May 2013 at 08:23 PM by emmanuel
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.