Increase font size
Topic Title: Earth Hour 2013
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 March 2013 10:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 March 2013 10:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ipayyoursalary

While the majority of the UK shivers under a thick covering of what the UK MET Office called "a thing of the past" and 1.3 Billion poor people around the world bed down for another night without electricity, they'll be putting out the bunting at WWF headquarters tonight. Yes folks, at 8:30pm it's Earth Hour. The WWF self-interest group's annual celebration of backwardness, ignorance and the demonisation of electricity.  So come on everyone, make sure you turn off all your lights and electronic devices at 8:30pm and enjoy sitting shivering in the dark for an hour.  Let's all help the WWF 'raise awareness' (and funding) for their campaign to return society to the stone age with massive subsidies for rich landowners and green taxes, energy rationing and rolling blackouts for the poor.

Alternatively, you might want to keep the lights ON and instead read Ross McKitrick's excellent critique here or watch Bjorn Lomborg's video take on Earth Hour here
 23 March 2013 12:16 PM

jarathoon

From the website http://earthhour.wwf.org.uk/

I notice that in the west of scotland and much of rural wales few people have signed up.

I wonder whether the enthusiasm for this event is inversely proportional to the frequency of the power cuts experienced as part of day to day living.

When you click on 'Businesses' you get the message "Error Loading Businesses"

I would prefer if they encouraged young people to think about engineering and related maths for an hour, to appreciate how vital it will be to our future development, rather than switch their lights off.

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 23 March 2013 01:19 PM

Ipayyoursalary

Sorry James, I'm not as optimistic as you: On the same site you will find idiotic messages of support and agreement from all three mainstream political parties. And I'm sure the 'error loading businesses' is just a bug because there are thousands of them eager to get their head in the green trough and support the scam. From Deutche Bank to M&S to BP. Doubtless the IET's own energy policy panel would be enthusiastic supporters along with the entire editorial staff of the E&T magazine. All we can do is blow rasberries from the sidelines and point out the hypocrisy and the damage to peoples lives being caused by this hideous green religion.
 23 March 2013 02:47 PM

HazelGroveWolf

I'll be maxing out tonight because it is effing cold. If we denied ourselves food it would be considered a mental illness and a threat to life. Logic seems to have left the building.
 10 April 2013 04:55 PM

a7mdr2fat

I think it is absolutely impressive in states' behavior, especially the developed countries
 11 April 2013 07:15 PM

944SE

I thought this was a technical forum
944SE
 12 April 2013 12:05 PM

Ipayyoursalary

@944SE

Feel free to argue why, technically, you think the WWF's attempt to demonise electricity, scaremonger about the weather and increase poor people's food and energy bills is a good thing. Bear in mind this loathsome campaign has been supported (indirectly) by the words and actions of IET 'policy panels' which feed into government policy - and via publications like the E&T magazine which has been cover-to-cover green/ruinables industry propaganda for years now. All without any mandate from the paying IET membership.

Seems a valid topic for discussion to me.
 12 April 2013 01:53 PM

HazelGroveWolf

Originally posted by: Ipayyoursalary

@944SE

Feel free to argue why, technically, you think the WWF's attempt to demonise electricity, scaremonger about the weather and increase poor people's food and energy bills is a good thing. Bear in mind this loathsome campaign has been supported (indirectly) by the words and actions of IET 'policy panels' which feed into government policy - and via publications like the E&T magazine which has been cover-to-cover green/ruinables industry propaganda for years now. All without any mandate from the paying IET membership.

Seems a valid topic for discussion to me.

I agree entirely and perhaps members should be canvassed formally by the IET on 'green' issues. Most of us got where we are through a sound understanding of physics so why the rejection of logic?
The whole climate/environmental movement is about political control.
If they really cared they would not advocate the 'solutions' that they do.
 12 April 2013 03:10 PM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: 944SE

I thought this was a technical forum

944SE

There is a major problem with the clarity of the wording that heads these forums:

http://www.theiet.org/forums/f...dex.cfm?nocookies=yes

It says

"Technical discussion forums
Engineering discussions covering any area of technology, mostly for those working in the field - for professional and career issues, see the relevant section below"

"Technical discussions" and "Engineering discussions" are two very different classes of discussion.

Technical discussions are an important sub-class of engineering discussions.

Outside of technical discussions is it perfectly reasonable for engineers to comment on and think about what non-engineers are trying to do in the realm of "social engineering".

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
IET » Energy » Earth Hour 2013

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.