IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What is Energy?
Topic Summary: Is Energy a real and definite "thing"? or is it a conceptual and relative notion?
Created On: 14 March 2013 04:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 May 2013 01:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kengreen

James, I certainly can give you credit for your vocabulary bu not for your perspicacity. On wha do you base the assumption that I am ignorant of Calculus ?

And yes, I have always regarded Churchill as a man of genius and a Master of the English Language.

What idea should I next put into your Mind ?

Ken
 06 May 2013 10:54 AM

jarathoon

Originally posted by: kengreen

Westonpa,

I can not quarrel with any of thqt but have not James and Zuiko diverted the traffic from the original Thread?

When first I put my toes into the water the discussoin ranged round the question "What is Energy". I did not expect my reply that energy is a mathematical delusion to raise friends for me but, in view of the nature of this Forum, neither did I expect te blind discharge of nonsense that did arise. But I believe that Gardeners should be left to dig their own holes. LESSON - never underrate the

opposition ?

Ken

You are entirely free to return to the topic of the thread "What is Energy?" if that is indeed your real intention, as I have just tried to do in my own imperfect way.

I understand that you have a whole book of symbols to precis down to a single A5 page of 12 point type.

Perhaps you could expand on your idea that "energy is a mathematical delusion".

Since I am not as knowledgeable on the meaning of words as you might think, I had to look up the definition of the word "delusion"

The pocket Oxford English dictionary says that a delusion is a "false belief or impression about yourself".

So perhaps you would like to explain the meaning of the equivalent set of words to yours:

Energy is a mathematical false belief or impression about yourself

As an self-acknowledged elderstatesman in this Institution hopefully you can (in doing this) take the lead in steming the "blind discharge of nonsense" that has arisen, by helping to find an intelligent and thoughtful way of getting back to the main point of the thread.

James Arathoon

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 06 May 2013 11:27 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: kengreen
Westonpa,
I can not quarrel with any of thqt but have not James and Zuiko diverted the traffic from the original Thread?
When first I put my toes into the water the discussoin ranged round the question "What is Energy". I did not expect my reply that energy is a mathematical delusion to raise friends for me but, in view of the nature of this Forum, neither did I expect te blind discharge of nonsense that did arise. But I believe that Gardeners should be left to dig their own holes. LESSON - never underrate the opposition ?
Ken

Fair comment, but if I recall it was something to do with an apple which aided Newton in his thoughts/studies about gravity. 'Energy' does not sit seperate from the rest of the universe or life and in fact it is an integral part of it and which is connected to everything else, so far as we know. Sometimes a wider discussion and some wacky ideas which seem way off from the original topic provide an opportunity to consider a question in a different way.....sometimes not, of course. 'Energy' is just a label that we attach to something which we wish to try and describe and in order to be able to talk to other people about it and so on. We may have attached the wrong label and our description may well be totally off the mark. Science and maths are not the holy grail of understanding and in many areas they have closed our minds to a proper understanding. It's rather like going on a journey and thinking that we must only go in one direction and at the same time ingoring all directions and possibilities. We arrive at some destination and think we then understand everything but actually that destination is only a bit part player in the 'whole'. If we drill deep into most areas of science and get down to the minute details then actually we find that there are very large gaps in our understanding because things do not quite work as we thought they did, and this is in the areas we can actually see what is going on.

Energy is all about movement and my question is what started the very first movement? What started the very first atom, quark, or something else, we have yet to discover, moving? Of course I appreciate that it would be somewhat difficult to answer a question for something we have not yet discovered, but you understand my question.

Regards.
IET » Energy » What is Energy?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.