Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 110VAC PUWER regulation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 March 2013 10:03 AM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 March 2013 10:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 2
Joined: 13 March 2013

Hi all,

I am working in a offshore and onshore company in Germany.
We will have a job in UK. I heard now that we have to use only 110VAC electrical equipment.
We need some hand-held units (normaly 230VAC) and electrical units with plugs for rotating current (400VAC).

It should be a PUWER rule in the UK. Is that true? Still anybody have information about this case?

I don't know if we have to change now all our electric devices for the repair works.
 13 March 2013 12:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 4
Joined: 31 January 2011

As far as I know you are allowed to use portable 230/110VAC transformer. So you don't have to change your instruments. But it obviously will depend on whether there is a provision for 230V sockets.
 13 March 2013 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 690
Joined: 28 September 2007

It will depend upon the site you are working on and their policies.

There is no specific legislation that says tools shall be 110V but in general in the UK there is a preference for portable tooling to run on a centre-tap to earth 110V system utilising the yellow 16A or 32A connectors to EN60309-2. General purpose tools such as drills, grinders, lighting etc would probably be expected to operate at 110V.

However, most companies realise that some equipment is specialised and needs to operate from either 230V or 400V supplies. In these instances a risk assessment is applied to determine the suitability of using tools powered from higher voltages and any further mitigation that may be required to reduce the risk, such as use of RCDs, armoured supply cables etc.

You should have a contact for the site you are going to that would issue you with documentation regarding the work practices expected from contractors. If you have specialised equipment requiring a higher supply voltage your best approach would be to contact them and explain the situation and come to an agreement before you arrive on site, including the supply of any adapters needed to connect into the site sockets.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 14 March 2013 02:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 78
Joined: 25 July 2008

we generally allow 230 and 400 V equipment where required by assesing the risk. 400V supplies are generally run out in an armoured cable and are RCD protected at 30mA where possible. sometimes they are 100mA rated.

230V equipment generally has a 110V supply taken to point of works and then a step up transformer used to get back to 230V. HSE have been happy with this arrangement when we have been visited. the important thing is recording the assesment of risk and your significant findings
 14 March 2013 03:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 2
Joined: 13 March 2013

Thx for the answers!

We still have a workshop container with transformer (400V) and RCD protection. We also have a risk assessment for the equipment and the container.
Unfortunately the client demand the 110V.
IET » Energy » 110VAC PUWER regulation

Topic Tools Topic Tools

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.