Increase font size
Topic Title: Low voltage pole mounted balancers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01 March 2013 09:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 March 2013 09:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

islandboy

Hi All,

Could anyone explain how these balancers work please?

many thanks
 01 March 2013 05:29 PM

Snips

Hello,
I think (though probably wrong) they are just a small TX with slightly more windings on one side than the other or possible a tap changer so as the output voltage can be adjusted on-site. As far as I'm aware they can only increase volts not amps so will only be used on long runs where volt-drop is an issue but load isn't.

What I would say is if you find any information online about them I'd be very great full, as we've got a few on our network, and very little information is available on them.

Hope this is any use to you.

Edited: 01 March 2013 at 06:32 PM by Snips
 01 March 2013 10:09 PM

alancapon

There are two things you could be taliking about. The first is a "regulator", which is a three-phase 1:1 ratio transformer with a tap changer and a basic voltage control relay, these are used to compensate for long overhead lines. The second is a "static balancer" which has two sets of windings connected in zig-zag, which effectively re-positions the neutral such that all phase to neutral voltages are equal.

The "static balancer" is usually placed at the end of a line, whereas the "regulator" is placed along it. The "static balancer" also usually has a fuse in its neutral connection. If a phase is shorted to the neutral due to a fault, the balancer may draw a significant current, which can be large enough to "burn down" the remaining phases. This should be prevented by the balancer's neutral fuse operating.

Regards,

Alan.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.