Increase font size
Topic Title: Overvoltage/Spike/Surge 3 phase protection
Topic Summary: Looking for advice on generator supplied mobile workshop
Created On: 25 January 2013 11:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 January 2013 11:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

alanjosephbrown

Good morning folks i wondered if any one could perhaps recommend a product to help with an 'over voltage' problem i have frrm time to time.

The senario is that we have some 20ft containers containing a breathing air compressor which we send out to remote locations for breathing apparatus and gas detection support. The trouble is that from time to time the customers on-site generator (we suspect) is giving out a little more voltage than intended and is destroying any voltage sensitve equipment pluged into the socket outlets. I am thinking that an inline unit which can be wired in between the main isolator and distribution panel might be the answer.

Normal 3 phase voltage on site - 400V 50Hz
Max load 63 Amp

Any suggestions or reccomendations would be much appreciated!
 05 February 2013 09:21 AM

nickbrown500

hello,

firstly you need to know abit more before just fitting a unit to cure this problem. If the problems are due to overvoltages lasting anything over a few seconds, then a surge/transient protector unit will not work in the way intended. Surge/transient protectors should only be used to protect against very short duration events in the millisecond duration's. A sustained overvoltage will kill a surge/transient suppressor unit.

If you are just getting spike/surges then a Surge protection unit will cure these problems. You could fit a unit like the Furse ESP415M1 or ESP415D1, both of these units will protect sensitive electronics very well as they will only let through 600V at a time of surge/transient voltage.

Hope this is of some help.
 09 February 2013 02:15 PM

alanjosephbrown

Hi Nick,

Thankyou very much for the advice i will have a look a the manufacturers data sheets.

Unfortunatly we do not have the opportunity to do any kind of site survey on the electrical supply, my hunch is that the problem is spike/surge related and not a sustained overvoltage as only the most sensative if equipment appears to be effected. All other electrical equipment and wiring is unaffected.

Best Regards & Many Thanks

Alan
 13 February 2013 10:28 AM

nickbrown500

From what you have said in the reply it sound most likely that you are getting spike/surge related problems. The sensitive electronics equipment will be protected by the units I have mentioned above.
Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.