IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Are wind turbines working in the current cold snap?
Topic Summary: Are wind turbines working in the current cold snap?
Created On: 20 January 2013 08:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 February 2013 09:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

cookers

Originally posted by: dsamuel

Hello everyone,

Wind power contributed over 12% to the UK grid last weekend - A new record!

Thanks Dave,

I did know that at times the wind turbines do actually do something, but we also know that at other times they do absolutely nothing at all.

So I am not sure whether this a success or not, and I find the publicity blurb unconvincing.

What would be a success, and something worth celebrating, is if wind turbines contributed at least 12% of the power needs of the country all the time, "rather than relying on imports of expensive fossil fuels from unstable parts of the world"

Have you any idea when this will occur?
 09 February 2013 11:34 AM

Ipayyoursalary

He got this bit right:

The quantity of low-carbon energy that wind is feeding into the grid is continuing to surge upwards....

... and downwards, minute by minute, while conventional power stations are inefficiently reved up and down in a desperate attempt to keep the grid stable. He continues:

As well as creating tens of thousands of green-collar jobs,[In China], and the wider environmental benefits [thousands of 120m tall industrial turbines ruining Britain's countryside] wind gives us another very important advantage - energy security [when the wind blows]. The UK can take control of the way we generate our power by using a secure, natural, local source of energy [shale gas]rather than relying on imports of expensive fossil fuels from unstable parts of the world [like Lancashire]
 09 February 2013 12:21 PM

westonpa

If wind was reliable and efficient then I am sure we could all support it, but the problem is that it is not. It may be a nice idea but we humans need to base our development plans on reliable energy sources and invest our monies there. I do not care how good a wind turbine is when it is working because it is no good at all when it is not turning and no one can predict even a few weeks ahead what its status will be.

I tend to think tidal schemes represent a better prospect because tides are predictable.

Regards.
 09 February 2013 09:14 PM

cookers

Can we close this down, all I asked was "were wind Turbines working in the cold snap" towards the end of Jan, Answer is they were NOT WORKING.

That's All.
 10 February 2013 01:48 PM

seeker

You may care to contribute to the facebook group National Association Against Wind Turbines and/or the Repeal the Act group?
 10 February 2013 07:40 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: cookers
Can we close this down, all I asked was "were wind Turbines working in the cold snap" towards the end of Jan, Answer is they were NOT WORKING.
That's All.

Well actually you were told in the first reply to your question that many were not but some were and so actually your statement is incorrect.

Regards.
 10 February 2013 07:59 PM

poo

Some people are looking into storage of wind power.

Press Release

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
Storing green electricity as natural gas

Press Release May 05, 2010

Renewable electricity can be transformed into a substitute for natural gas. Until now, electricity was generated from gas. Now, a German-Austrian cooperation wants to go in the opposite direction. In the future, these researchers and entrepreneurs would like to store surplus electricity - such as from wind power or solar energy - as climate-neutral methane, and store it in existing gas storage facilities and the natural gas network.

Throughout the world, electricity generation is based more and more on wind and solar energy. So far, the missing link for integrating renewable energy into the electricity supply is a smart power storage concept. Because when the wind is blowing powerfully, wind turbines generate more electricity than the power grid can absorb. Now, German researchers have succeeded in storing renewable electricity as natural gas. They convert the electricity into synthetic natural gas with the aid of a new process. The process was developed by the Center for Solar Energy and Hydrogen Research Baden-Württemberg (ZSW), in cooperation with the Fraunhofer Institute for Wind Energy and Energy System Technology IWES. Currently, Solar Fuel Technology, the Austria-based partner company, is setting up the industrial implementation of the process. One advantage of the technology:it can use the existing natural gas infrastructure. A demonstrationsystem built on behalf of Solar Fuel in Stuttgart is already operating successfully. By 2012, a substantially larger system - in the double-digit megawatt range - is planned to be launched.
 15 February 2013 03:58 PM

rogerbryant

Another 'take' on wind power:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21476916

Best regards

Roger
IET » Energy » Are wind turbines working in the current cold snap?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.