Increase font size
Topic Title: Careers in Wind Energy
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 January 2013 04:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 January 2013 04:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

areid1703

Hi,
so as not to bore you I'll try to keep this short.

I have a 2:2 in Biomedical Sciences and have been teaching Physics for the past 4 years (up to A-level). Currently I am looking for a career change, preferably into the renewable energy sector, with my main interest being wind energy. I was hoping There would be people on the forum who could give me more information on the following:

- Having no engineering experience but being capable within the scientific field, would I be able to transfer into a Masters degree in engineering.
- How useful are the following MSc qualifications when looking for careers? MSc Renewable Energy Engineering (Cranfield University or UCLAN) or MSc Wind Energy Engineering (UCLAN).
- What is the best approach in order to gain work experience (voluntary or involuntary), preferably during the school holidays?

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

Anthony

Edited: 09 January 2013 at 04:07 PM by areid1703
 09 January 2013 11:40 PM

JonathanHill

You don't say what your motivation is for this change of career direction. Do we assume that your forward focus is specifically electrical? In any event, I'd strongly recommend that you get some industrial experience to confirm that you're taking the right career move, this is easily said, but may need some persistence to achieve. From experience, I reckon that ability to move into a new area is 80% attitude and 20% skill/ knowledge (which is developed further by the strong attitude)!

I don't know anything about the establishments you mention, but if your ambition is to be an electrical engineer, then I'd commend you to check out CREST @ Loughborough, Manchester, Durham, Strathclyde, Imperial, Newcastle and Northumbria.

Good luck.

-------------------------
Jonno
 10 January 2013 09:44 AM

taylormj4

Hi Anthony,
Depending upon what position you are aiming for, you may find that an MSc is not necessary. Many electrical engineering jobs on the market require a minimum of HNC/HND and whant Jonathan says about 80% attitude is very true - not heard that before but I would agree.
With regard to work experience, where are you based ? We carry out design work for the renewables industry so have contact with several companies that may be able to provide you with some work experience. Were you expecting to be paid for that work or offering it voluntarily ?

-------------------------
Matthew Taylor B.Eng C.Eng MIET PhD
IET » Energy » Careers in Wind Energy

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.