IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Transmission connection at distribution voltage
Topic Summary: Is it possible to connect to a substation busbar at distribution voltage but be classed as a transmission connection?
Created On: 28 November 2012 12:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 November 2012 12:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

cmthomson

Dear all,

I am doing some initial enquiries for a client regarding a small power station they have in Scotland. They are currently connected to the 33kV busbar at a 132/33kV substation and are classified as embedded generation. Due to a potential change in circumstances of the site, I would like to find out if it is possible to have a transmission connection at 33kV if a new busbar was installed between the 132/33kV transformer and the 33kV connection to the local DNO network? I imagine it is fairly uncommon practice but for this particular site it may be advantageous for use of system charging reasons.

Obviously the best place for an answer would be to ask National Grid directly but at this stage I am simply looking to find out if this is potentially possible and if it has been done anywhere else in the UK. Does anybody know of any connections at 33kV in Scotland or 132kV in England & Wales that are classed as transmission connections?

Many thanks in advance for your views.
 28 November 2012 01:36 PM

fshillit

I think the only way for you to get a transmission connection is to apply for a transmission connection at 132kV. You would then be responsible for building your own 132/33kV substation. The 'grid' at 33kV is owned by the DNO, so any connections at 33kV would be distribution network connections.
 29 November 2012 11:05 AM

ArthurHall

Talk to the electricity company, they will have the last say after all. Remember the Scottish companies do transmission and distribution.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.