Increase font size
Topic Title: Areva/Alstom/Schneider Protection Relay Settings
Topic Summary: Backing up protection settings from relays on a network drive
Created On: 06 November 2012 12:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 November 2012 12:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

solaral

Does anyone have a workaround to allow MICOM S1 software to work with a network drive?

I've been in touch with Alstom who have confirmed that S1 Studio/Agile is not designed to work in a network environment. They are thinking about including this functionality in future versions but, seeing as I don't have a time machine, this is little use to me right now...

What I'm trying to achieve is to place a 'master' copy of the settings files on a network drive which can then be placed on a laptop HDD. Laptop goes to site, changes to protection settings are made, new settings or logic schemes are saved, laptop travels home and new settings are backed up onto the network.

I'm aware that I can just use windows explorer to drag the files to where I want them but I think this solution is fraught with danger due to accidentally moving the wrong files or putting things in the wrong place...

Thanks for reading...

Solaral.
 08 November 2012 09:39 AM

dlane

Microsoft offer a program called Robocopy that will allow you to set up automatic scheduling of file copying from one device to another.

Some USB sticks / drives also come with backup software that could be utilised.

Perhaps a question in the IT forums for some specific recommendations might be an option if you haven't already asked.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 12 November 2012 12:44 PM

solaral

Donald,

Thank-you for your input. I'll investigate the robocopy function but my I.T. skills are pretty limited...

Solaral
 12 November 2012 08:31 PM

AdrianWint

I think the best way to do this is to use the S1 Studio to "EXPORT" the system. This wraps it up with all the settings files, PSLs etc etc. You can then copy this single file to a network drive.

Cant remember exactly which of the pull down menus this is in, but its certainly there & works well. Ive used this method to email an S1 system to one of my engineers on the other side of the world.

Adrian
 13 November 2012 12:38 PM

solaral

Adrian,

I've tried this and it appears to do what I want to achieve - many thanks. I did see this option but I was put off using it because I didn't fully understand the archive process; S1 packages up the system to an archive file and when importing the archived system a new .ms1s file and associated folder are re-created. I guess this process could be controlled by careful file management/naming conventions.

Right clicking on the system icon in the system explorer brings up the export option.

Thanks and regards,

Solaral.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.