Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual tariff metering
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 October 2012 10:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 October 2012 10:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JFK

Can someone please explain to me how the following is connected, and works.
'A single phase dual tariff electric meter used in conjuction with a horstman timeclock.'
My own personal installation has a dual meter but no clock. it was my assumtion that both the 'LOW' rate and 'NORMAL' rate were taken by the supply company and calculations done by them.
However I'm looking at an old precis from college, and it states that a 'Whie meter installation' would use a dual tariff meter and a time clock.
Not sure whats in my home, and I'm after clarification.
Many thanks
 17 October 2012 11:32 AM

StewartTaylor

Older (mechanical) two tariff meters used an external time clock to switch them between the high and low tariff rates.

You may, however, also want to use a clock yourself to switch on loads that you only want running on low rate

-------------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
 17 October 2012 11:38 AM

JFK

By the use of a clock, would that also require a second DB? and if so are the Dual Meters capable of a second tail from the load side to feed it?
 21 October 2012 11:09 AM

weirdbeard

Hi JFK, must admit untill a couple of days ago I was under the impression that for any dual rate meter there would always be either a timeclock or radio-tele switch that switches the rates on the meter, then I was a bit puzzled when I saw an installation that didn't seem to have either, just what looked like the normal kind of digital two-rate meter, but a quick bit of research of the meter type revealed that it has it's own built in timer to switch the rates (If it's any help it was made by landis+gyr and there was a tiny clock symbol on it next to the double insulated symbol)
 22 October 2012 12:25 AM

alancapon

A lot of the modern dual rate meters actually have the RTS receivers built in. The downside is that there is no provision for directly switching a second phase within the unit for a "low rate" only board (like the separate Teleswitches). The Meter Operator will usually be able to supply a connection from the meter that can be used with a customer's contactor for switching the second supply.

Regards,

Alan.
 24 October 2012 08:07 AM

JFK

Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply.
The precis from college wasn't clear, it was probably written in the 70's. HA

Thanks again

Jfk
 25 October 2012 12:13 AM

alancapon

The White Meter tariffs were available in some areas before Economy 7 was introduced. In general White Meters used a mechanical time clock with a clockwork spring reserve (with electric rewind) that powered the clock during power cuts.

The trials using Radio TeleSwitch (RTS) started in 1979, with the fully operational system starting in 1984. Economy 7 was started at a similar sort of time, and used an RTS receiver as a separate device instead of a mechanical time clock. RTS had the advantage that the time could be set remotely, as well as the on / off times adjusted over air.

Regards,

Alan.
IET » Energy » Dual tariff metering

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.